Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of Empi elephants feet tappet adjusting screws that I want to fit for ease of tappet adjusting........
Having read the instructions on the packet about fitting the shim underneath the rocker arm mounting can anyone please confirm that these are perfectly OK to use in conjunction with the standard length pushrods?
Before I bolt them up I just want to make sure everything is OK!

Thanks!

Paul

;)

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The shims are really the lazy way to do it, but they work. The idea is to bolt a head on minus push rod tubes. Put the push rod in and rockers on and see how tight the angle on the ball is at the top and bottom of the valve movement.

What people don't often realise is that the stock VW (original) push rods are bloody good! I've used them on single heavy duty springs with mild cams for 20 years. It's only the soft aluminium aftermarket push rods that fail. They can lost 1/8" in 50 miles on stock springs!

If you gently tap round the aluminium enclosing the steel part of the push rod, you can draw the steel part out easily. You can then cut approx 1/8" off the rod and gently, using an old cam follower tap the steel end back in.

I have to warn you to keep an eye on the elephant feet swivel feet, having replaced 3 sets last year that disintegrated. I then did a scientific test on the offending item and hit it with a bloody big hammer and the metal actually powdered! They were as brittle as buggery. I now only use the ones with the annoying little flat ball in the end.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shims are really the lazy way to do it, but they work. The idea is to bolt a head on minus push rod tubes. Put the push rod in and rockers on and see how tight the angle on the ball is at the top and bottom of the valve movement.

What people don't often realise is that the stock VW (original) push rods are bloody good! I've used them on single heavy duty springs with mild cams for 20 years. It's only the soft aluminium aftermarket push rods that fail. They can lost 1/8" in 50 miles on stock springs!

If you gently tap round the aluminium enclosing the steel part of the push rod, you can draw the steel part out easily. You can then cut approx 1/8" off the rod and gently, using an old cam follower tap the steel end back in.

I have to warn you to keep an eye on the elephant feet swivel feet, having replaced 3 sets last year that disintegrated. I then did a scientific test on the offending item and hit it with a bloody big hammer and the metal actually powdered! They were as brittle as buggery. I now only use the ones with the annoying little flat ball in the end.
Many thanks :), I was only going to fit elephants feet for ease of maintenance and as they were sourced from Ebay in the States they were 1/2 UK price so I haven't splashed out much on them :D.
I think I will leave them off and just run the stock set-up :).

Cheers.

Paul

;)

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
If you got them, you might as well use them. Just be careful and maybe torque the tappets nuts to 12 ft lb (8mm fine)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.