Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting my engine back in after sorting the valves out on my bug, but having problems getting the splines to match up and cant push it all the way in. any tried and tested tips, im at a bit of a loss :crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
Make sure it's going in straight, turn the crank pulley a bit while pushing it in, to line-up the splines.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
This works if you are alone:

Shift in gear (any gear).
Handbrake on (or tie wheels down so they can't spin).
You can apply a very light coating of lube to the splines.

Push engine in and at same time very slowly turn the pulley.
It should plop right in.

This assumes that the clutch disc has been centered when you
installed the disc and that the shaft splines aren't buggered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried the crank pulley, i think im just not coming in square, quite hard to gauge the angle of it. my fan housing is still on, is it easier without?

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Have you got the back of your bug jacked up while your trying to do it?

Sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but if you have, are you dropping the engine onto the shaft at an angle matching that of the car. If your not, then that will be causing your problems. I had this the first time I swapped my engine.

Now i jack up the front of the bug, so the body is level and the engine can be rolled into place on a trolly jack.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
EdA said:
i tried the crank pulley, i think im just not coming in square, quite hard to gauge the angle of it. my fan housing is still on, is it easier without?
I don't think you'll be able to replace the fanhousing once the engine is in place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didnt touch the clutch, so i assume it hasnt moved, but what do they say "mother of all"

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
May sound obvious, but my mate struggled with one for an hour, until he spotted that he'd left a nut on one of the bottom studs :crazy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorted, well sort of, the splines in the clutch were a bit chewed so it wouldnt mate properly with the input shaft. no doubt did it when i took the engine out, might be a little bit more careful next time, mind i have realised the clutch is contaminated with oil, so gunna replace the input shaft seal as well, a small silver lining :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts