Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to fit a new fuel line.
Bearing in mind I have a freshly painted floorpan and the bodys off, I didn't really wanna run the new one down the side of the tunnel.

Is the fuel line clamped in the tunnel or can it be replaced with a bit of jiggery pokery through the inspection plate?

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
I've done 3 in the last couple of years, it's a bit of jiggery, but much easier if the body is off. I ran an old accellerator cable through the old pipe, and tied is off so it stayed in place while the old pipe was pulled out, then used the cable to pull the new pile through, which should make it go through the clamps inside the tunnel. I only saw 2 areas where it's clamped, one immediately behind the pedal cluster, and one in the left hand frame fork, they are just strips of steel spot welded and bent over the pipe, they get worked loose by the action of pulling the old pipe out, so the new pipe usually goes back through the clamps withoiut too much resistance. Go for it

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I was thinking off using string, but an old cable is sound idea!!
What type of pipe should i be using, not copper I guess?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Laurence Fletcher said:
....I only saw 2 areas where it's clamped, one immediately behind the pedal cluster, and one in the left hand frame fork....
There should be a third in the middle of the tunnel, just rear of the handbrake opening.

More people need to appreciate this type of repair method, though I can appreciate that there are practicalities that often force the alternatives.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
al_kaholik said:
Large diameter brake hose. I'm using 6mm ID, plenty of fuel can get down it and its easy to work, should never corrode too.
Does your larger ID pipe fit through the tunnel OK or did you have to run it on the outside ?

Dave.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Works fine. There is plenty of space, the rubber bungs at each end may ahve to be replaced but I'm not at that stage yet. I did run a rubber hose all the way, but then decided to go back to solid. The hose was FI high strength stuff, about 20mm OD and that went fine through all the clips and out both ends

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Thanks Al

My bug's in resto at the moment, and although the original line is fine I thought it best to fit a larger ID one now that I've gone to 1776.

I thought I'd have to run it outside the tunnel but now I know I should be able to do a proper job. Ta.

Dave.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Putting an FI 2.1 wasserboxer into mine, hence the thought of FI standard hose. Solid is amuch better answer to the problem though. Bigger hose means that more fuel will get pumped though, so could be an issue there with a stock fuel pump - though I don't know that for definate

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
I used 6mm Kunifer pipe, fits through standard clips and rubber bungs, more than adequate fuel flow, and will never rust.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You won't need to fit a larger diameter fuel line just because you've got a bigger engine. Have you seen how quickly the fuel flows out of the fuel pipe if you remove the flexible hose at the frame horn? If your engine is using fuel faster then that you've got a big problem :eek:

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
KABMAN said:
You won't need to fit a larger diameter fuel line just because you've got a bigger engine. Have you seen how quickly the fuel flows out of the fuel pipe if you remove the flexible hose at the frame horn? If your engine is using fuel faster then that you've got a big problem :eek:
You've got a good point there....

I've seen articles stating that you need larger than stock bore pipe for larger engines several times, and maybe it's a good idea for flat out racing, but now I think about it perhaps overkill for the road.

However, I'll still fit a larger bore line because it will simplify my current fuel system.
I've got narrow bore coming out of the tank, through a filter which ups the pipe to larger bore, to fit my CB electric pump, then back through an adaptor to take it down to the smaller bore of the fuel line.
Then I've got another adaptor at the rear to enlarge the fuel line so it will fit my dellortos.

Going to one larger fuel line all the way will make things simpler
and less fault liabilities.

Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts