Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Curved screen pervert said:
Come on someone must have tried adapting standard front wings for an 03?
Not too sure why you'd want to, to be honest :confused: ..........
Locally there used to be a 1302S that had had front wings from a torsion bar car fitted, it looked a right mess :D , the bottom edge of the wing stopped about 3 inches short of the base of the curved front valance......
Looked like a stunted baja in my opinion, someone obviously loved the car, but I wouldn't do that to a motor of mine...... :D :D

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah thanks... The idea is change the shape of the front, so it doesn't curve back under. As I will be running my car without bumpers, this might give me the shape I am after. So the front valance on this beetle was unmodified?

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Curved screen pervert said:
Ah thanks... The idea is change the shape of the front, so it doesn't curve back under. As I will be running my car without bumpers, this might give me the shape I am after. So the front valance on this beetle was unmodified?
Yep, stock curved '02 front valance , until I saw that car I hadn't appreciated fully just how much 'taller' an 02/03 front wing must be compared to a torsion bar one......

;)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well having just offered a standard wing up to my super, they're different shapes in more ways than I imagined. I could make it fit, by making it thinner towards the front, but then as you rightly pointed out, it also needs taller, so ends up too short.. :(

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
very different!

i have a 1302 and `had` a full wizard kit for a torsion bug kicking about, was going to try and build an early look car using the bits, the problem lies in the factor that the front valance is a good 4" wider than a torsion beam bug, the bonnet area is also a different shape, im not afraid of a bit of work but its more work that its worth!

keep the nose rolling under like it should ;)

fit a lower lip of a few inches deep though, im going to try and make this work with mine to improve 70mph stability.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
The front valance wouldn't line up with the wings as mentioned above, then you'd have to replace the bonnet. Basically you'd be chasing the alignment from one panel to the next & in the end you'd be having to graft in the whole front end off a standard beetle. No idea what the suspension setup would be :confused:

Not sure if anyone's ever done it before & I'd be interested to see what it looked like, but it may be more work than you'd imagine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts