Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 74 1200 just failed on excessive corrosion of floor, below the pedals.
Looking at it when on the ramp, I can see it needs the forward 7 inches or so replacing. The edges look good, but until i can get removing the crap I cannot be sure.

I have had a look at heritage site for this bit, but the nearest I can find is the whole front half.

The Question.

Is it best to get whole panel & cut down, or just cut out rot & weld in some good steel ? I realise this all rather subjective to actually seeing the rust, but just need to get an idea.

No other fail points BTW....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Quick repair can be done with part of the "Front floor Repair" Panel from German & Swedish, (last one we got was about £11. ). Not the best panels in the world, but if fitted properly and protected with good paint etc., will last a fair few years.
You will need to save and re-fit the strengthening plate under the pedals, look here for positioning:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=309566

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that. Having found that most of the vehicle is unoriginal, will be interesting see see if that bit is still present.

It sits on top of the pan, right ?

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
juperwort said:
Roger that. Having found that most of the vehicle is unoriginal, will be interesting see see if that bit is still present.

It sits on top of the pan, right ?
Correct :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just been out & found it. Thats good. The (a) hole is just to the right of the end of the plate. Have ordered part for Monday. Will dismantle are over weekend.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Sounds like fun. We just did that job on my mate's 71 1200, it had not rotted right out to the very edge, (the bit which is bolted to the heater channel was still OK), so we just removed the pedals, and that reinforcement plate, cut out the rot back to sound steel, made a repair piece from some plain steel sheet, (only needed about 5" x 10"), and welded that into the hole, then welded the reinforcement plate on top of that. Slapped on some black paint, and refitted pedals, took 5 hours, including brewing up.
The passenger side had rusted right out to the outer edge, (the heater channel was bolted to some burnt toast covered in what looked like Marmite), so we used the GSF Repair panel (only the front 10 inches), to replace the toast.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'...just removed the pedals...' sounds so easy. Bet I lose the clutch cable or something... or it will start snowing......

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had to spend most of weekend tiling kitchen floor, so didn't really get much progress on this.

I got the front end up & pedals unbolted, but of course the clutch cable is still connected & now rear end is low so I can't get underneath to undo & slacken off. GAH.

I have spotted that most of the corrosion is exacly under the strengthening plate. I guess this being a low(er) point, causes any damp or water to collect here. Either way, there will be so much paint & what have you at this point when i've finished...

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
wiggle the clutch pedal & it will probably unhook itself from the front end of the cable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just scared i will lose the end in the tunnel.

Just picked up the GSF panel, but doesn't have the indentation for the strengthener. Should I try & make one up with punch & hammer & block of wood, or just ignore it ? I will practice on the bits i wont need.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
You won't lose the end of the cable, it is held in a steel conduit tube, and has a large eye on that end, so it can't go anywhere.
I didn't bother with the indentations, just welded the reinforcement on in the right place, and if all went nicely back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts