Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floorpan Reassembly and Waxoyl

Hi all

just got to the point where all the mechanicals are reinstalled on my floorpan (its been powder coated) and I'm trying to think ahead!!

I want to give the pan some form of over protection, so am thinking of Waxoyling the whole pan and shell when its back from paint.

Will the Waxoyl "cure" enough for me to be able to glue carpets down later in the build process, or does it stay "moist"? I don't want a big sticky mess when I come to put a nice bit of shag pile in ;)

Is there anything else better/different to Waxoyl and any other tips at this point would be good.

On a similar point, is it worth coating new alloys with anything (front or back) to look after them?

Al

·
Registered
166 Posts
The dinitrol stuff is a better alternitave to waxoyl (in my opinion), it does cure but i dont know if it will be enough to actually glue your carpets to as it leaves a waxy surface simular to that of waxoyl that you can scrape off with your nail.

It might be better if you just do the undreneath of the pan but on the top only the areas that rust often like the battery tray, above the jacking points etc. also make sure that the seams between the pans and the tunnel are sealed with joint sealer as this will help stop the rust occuring there.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Your powder coating is more than enough protection for the floorpan, inside and out. properly sealed seams are essential to prevent water getting between the panels.
A smooth painted surface will not allow muck & water to collect and cause any corrosion from the outside, just hose it down every now and again, it'll last for years. Far better than any kind of "Underseal", even the expensive professionally sprayed-on stuff. which looks awful, and will eventually crack. and hold water, causing the very problems it is meant to prevent.
Do consider spraying Waxoil or Dinitrol inside the tunnel, especially the frame head, and the "napoleon's hat" front crossbrace, to prevent any corrosion from the inside of these important structural parts.
I've done the same with my chassis, but just etch primed, then commercial vehicle black chassis paint. it was done 8 years ago, and the MOT men still complain they can see their ugly faces in the pan, and accuse me of polishing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts