Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How closely do people follow the best before dates on foods?

I ask because i bought a chicken korma and some prawns for cheap on Friday with best before 19th Jan and then left them in the staff fridge over the weekend. Would you still eat them?

I don't tend to pay much attention to the dates and if it looks and smells alright just eat it:D

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Would be wary of the prawns but theres not much that gets to midnight and turns off cos it's BBE has just run out!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
chuck the prawns away - eat the curry

By the way, if you want to know how old you food is, some where near the best before date will be a 4 digit number eg 7256 this is the day the item was packed - the first digit is the year and the others are the day of the year. ie the 256th day of 2007

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Depends upon what it is. Probably wouldn't chance the chicken or prawns.

Last week I found an Xmas pud in the cupboard. Almost finished it when I noticed the expiry date was March 2006! :eek: Tasted ok though, so finished it off, and I'm still here. :D
I always thought the longer you leave xmas puds, the better they are?? I had one this year that was left in my dads cupboard for 7 years! mind you.. it was home made, and full of brandy!

·
Registered
78,033 Posts
A lot for me depends where it came from. Some shops are better at storing things and have more conservative dating.

Ultimately I go by smell and check things which are in date as well as out.

Red meat is a bit different... that can be out of date and oxidized and still is fine to eat.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Depends upon what it is. Probably wouldn't chance the chicken or prawns.

Last week I found an Xmas pud in the cupboard. Almost finished it when I noticed the expiry date was March 2006! :eek: Tasted ok though, so finished it off, and I'm still here. :D
I always thought the longer you leave xmas puds, the better they are?? I had one this year that was left in my dads cupboard for 7 years! mind you.. it was home made, and full of brandy!
I've had a xmas pud in the cupboard for a couple of years, expiry date is March 2008 ! :lol:

I'm hoping it will mature some more and taste loverley,. well, it IS Tesco Finest ! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts