Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Brads annual fundraiser last night, was a 14 year old, Kathy O'Neil, who was speaking of her experiences of hospital, and particularly about being a teenage cancer sufferer dealing with being placed on a childrens ward. Kathy has the same rare form of cancer which took Bradley's life. She spoke to 200+ adults about coming to understand what having this awful disease actually meant, without any sense of self pity. She only became tearful when she started to speak about what having received a donation from Brads meant to her. Kathy gave me a real sense that our giving or raising money for charity is not a theoretical act, but a wholely real one. Next time you even think about giving, to Brads or any other charity, give yourself a massive pat on the back. What you do affect real people's lives. People in real difficulties. Thank you and well done all of you, :)

·
Prom Queen
8,015 Posts
that bought a tear to my eye!

I try to give as much as possible to cancer charities...but this makes it seem worth that much more..

:hug:

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
*clap clap clap clap*

speechless......

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
well said.

Its a sad fact that cancer will at one point affect everybodies life. Whether its a friend or family member or yourself.

I always try to give generously and help where i can having seen the effects cancer can have on my mum first hand.

So indeed a pat on your back if you have ever helped/donated :)

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Well put Brett.

My dad died a few years ago in a morphine-induced coma as the result of pancreatic cancer. He spent the last few months of his life in utter agony. As a result, our family tries to give as much to cancer research as & when we can.

Let's hope that one day, with the help of our funding, that they can find a cure for this awful, awful disease.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
Brett said:
At the Brads annual fundraiser last night, was a 14 year old, Kathy O'Neil, who was speaking of her experiences of hospital, and particularly about being a teenage cancer sufferer dealing with being placed on a childrens ward. Kathy has the same rare form of cancer which took Bradley's life. She spoke to 200+ adults about coming to understand what having this awful disease actually meant, without any sense of self pity. She only became tearful when she started to speak about what having received a donation from Brads meant to her. Kathy gave me a real sense that our giving or raising money for charity is not a theoretical act, but a wholely real one. Next time you even think about giving, to Brads or any other charity, give yourself a massive pat on the back. What you do affect real people's lives. People in real difficulties. Thank you and well done all of you, :)
What he said /\/\/\

Listening to Kathy last night was inspiring, here was a girl who is going through what she described as hell, yet was so strong and so confident in what she was saying it was unbelievable. She bought tears to the eyes on most of the people there. The world could do with a few more like her.

She described how hard it was for her to have to share a ward with small children and not be able to talk to anyone her own age, who understood and was going through what she was. She went on to say how much the donation from the Brads foundation meant to her and how it had helped her. On behalf of Kathy and other Teenagers like her, I'd like to say thank you to anyone who has supported Brads.

You do make a difference :)

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
i donated and bought from the stall in the past, i dont give to many charaties but feel brads is one i want to help if i can :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
VERY WELL SAID BRETT
It was indeed a very powerfull speech from a very brave an inspirational young girl :( ,
It makes all the hardwork worthwhile :D
thanks to all of you who have helped in the past and hopefully in the future, last night proves that we do make a difference :hug:
Hope you enjoyed last night as much as we did and have got to say a massive thanks to bri for doing the auction :hangloose and for all you vw action crew who came, you really are the best :hug:
love the brads gang xx

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone that gives to a cancer charity, or any other for that matter, is an angel. So many people are affected by this horrible disease. My dad died of cancer in Febuary, and although he was ill for many years, without donations to these kind of charities there would never have been the technology or knowledge to make him as comfortable as they did and give me the chance to become not only a daddy's girl but best friends with the most amazing man I've ever met.

M x

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
:group:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Its amazing how cancer can make kids strong / and mature. I bet there was a lot of weeping eyes in that audience, it made me fill up just reading Brett's words.

A subject close to my heart, everything helps, sometimes just a smile.

For me, its a case of never forget, never get complacent, and enjoy life to the full every day, and when you think things are bad, just remember what that little girl is going through.

·
Banned
6,339 Posts
utting30 said:
VERY WELL SAID BRETT
It was indeed a very powerfull speech from a very brave an inspirational young girl :( ,
thanks to all of you who have helped in the past and hopefully in the future, last night proves that we do make a difference :hug:
Hope you enjoyed last night as much as we did and have got to say a massive thanks to bri for doing the auction :hangloose and for all you vw action crew who came, you really are the best :hug:
love the brads gang xx
Mr Utting, i owe you some dough. Be a good chap and PM me the details again so i can do the required. If you send the bank details through i can do an electronic transfer.....

And keep up the good work dude. Without you guys the rest of us would have no way of making that difference.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
utting30 said:
VERY WELL SAID BRETT
love the brads gang xx
And I will speak with Esther about the trekking idea in the week.

·
Prom Queen
8,015 Posts
If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Wish we could've done an '07 calendar...the '06 one was amazing!

Mmm...juli puts thinking cap on :D

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,584 Posts
When you have a life threatening condition, one of the best things is to find a support network of people who understand what you are going through, that is often such relief not only for the sufferers but for the carers too. I'm pleased for you that you can see some of the results of your hard work you must have been very proud last night to know that what you do makes a real difference.

I wish you continued success with Brads :hug:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
TO add to this guys
kathy had a lot of peaple on the night come up to her and say what an inspiration she was, some also donated more money to go out and splash out at the clothes show :D
Sue ( brads mum ) had a phone call from kathy thanking us for a good night and the money that she had donated on the night she wanted to give half of it back into our funds and no matter what sue tried she wouldn"t back down and insisted we have half back :(
SUMS UP HER SPIRIT EH ?
:hug:

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,584 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts