Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this motor? A 1970 fastback that I bought last year - rough as a badgers bits but its quick and a bit of a laff!

Welded onto the tunnel under the rear seat states "bodged 1996 (?)", its got a couple of VWDRC stickers on it and race number stains on the lexan windows, couple of URO stickers and "Bug Bits" of worcester (now partially hidden with electrical tape!)

Now that the big 70's retro drag thing is in full swing, and folks are starting to do 80's retro drag cars, I'm guessing i only have to wait a few more years before nineties drag car style is the next hot ticket ;)

It would be nice to know a bit of history about the car - what engine it used to run, what times it got on the strip etc. Its currently running an 1835cc engine with twin 36's on it, and i've yet to get everything working the same weekend the weather does to get an ET for it.

Anyhoo, in the spirit of the car :hangloose

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Hi there,
You bought it from me!

How you have it is exactly how it was when it used to be raced!

I bought it off the guy who originally built and campaigned it, who came from Coventry way.

The welded bit is Paul 'Botch' Venners, i believe he was commissioned to do a lot of the work on it originaly. I think he's the guy who does the commentaries at Santa Pod (Big Bang & Bug Jam).

Anyway , good to see you've kept it together and not bust it just for the motor!

BTW, i spanked an Audi A4 at Big Bang 16.1 secs, if i remember rightly?

Adz

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Adz,

cheers for the info! hoping to get out to some of the last drags of the season up at Crail in fife; its been a long year of not having enough time, re-wiring the tangle below the dash, getting a charging system that would stay working for more than 30 secs (for some reason kept killing dynamos and regulators????) and putting the top end back together after one of the valve guides pulled out of the head :eek: :eek: Oh, and failing an MOT for having an exhaust "significantly louder than a similar car with a standard system fitted in average condition" :rolleyes: I think it freaked the MOT guy out a bit........

I'll post back when i get some times recorded.... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts