Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not having much luck. Blew my reconed engine last week.

Put my old one back in, with large end-float, and noisy.

Job done between yesterday and today so serviced and found this in the oil.

Its exacly 1mm thick. Radius as per digital caliper. It has a 45degree angle to it on the outer circumference.
Need to get to glastonbury in 4 weeks in this van. Will this engine make it? :(

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Part of the oil slinger? The dished washer at the pulley end.
The great endfloat could have ground it to bits.

No telling what bits may be in the oil galleries...

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Does either face show signs of having been attached to anything on the inner circumference? Could it be what is left of the thrust face of a camshaft bearing?

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
only way really is to take it apart again! Check the thrush washers on the crank. See if any are missing then replace. And change the oil/filter!

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Another thought, could it be the remnants of the lip of a cam follower that has worn so thin that it's snapped off. Any which way, I think you are going to have to strip that engine to find out and I doubt it would make much distance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clarkson46 said:
Does either face show signs of having been attached to anything on the inner circumference? Could it be what is left of the thrust face of a camshaft bearing?
yes, the inner edge looks odd. I'd say it was part of something, very irregular sharpish in places edge as if its sheared away from something, outer edge looks like new.

On the upper / lower faces of bit, one side of piece looks to have been in contact with metal or something, very shiny, and few major spirally scratches, other face looks untouched.

Please someone tell me, i might make it to glastonbury

Old out / Recon New in / Blew New Recon one up Last week / Old back In / ????? Hopefully not old out / recon new again time ££££ / new in again.

:(

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
noisy?!..

broken wavy washer from a rocker shaft...

if its "important" that you make it to glastonbury and back... dont take any risks... youll end up paying more in the long run if you break down...

good luck with it...

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
At 3cm diameter, I think it could possibly be part of a rocker shaft spacer washer, or rocker shaft wavy washer.

Pull the valve covers and see if any of the rockers has a lot of sideways slop. If you're very lucky indeed you may find the other half of that washer in one of the valve covers or the head underneath the rockers.

Fishing around with a very strong magnet may just land you lucky, if you're willing to take a chance with the engine.

At that sort of diameter it could also be one of the shims that fit under the distributor drive shaft, but I think 1mm is too thick for those (but couldn't be certain)

Dave.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Can't help you but i thought i'd try and make you feel better....my sister just blew her beetle recon engine 2 days ago and i've got engine parts spread all over my garage for my camper then once i've built it i've got the mamoth task of tuning the turbo system and hopefully fitting dropped spindles and getting an MOT and i'm going to Glasto too!

Might be worth doing as mister whippy says and then start looking for another engine...Glastonbury isn't going to be kind to your engine i.e motorway and standstill traffic.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
few more pics

Nope no warrantyy
ebay spray painter- come engine rebuilder sold it too me.

1 face is unmarked and has a visible 45degree outer circuference edge.
The other face has damage, spiraling out.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Looks like half a circlip.
As already mentioned, I would check rocker shafts for missing bits.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a bit from rocker areas. Just checked and got a soaking.
All spring wavy washers there, washers all there. These bits are a bit smaller radius and thinner too.
The peice has either had one hell of a beating on its inner edge and outer somehow avoided damage.
or
The peice was attached to something at the inner edge.

camshaft journal/guide/bearing-shell sounds very possible.

Do engines run ok without this bit

??

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Could be one half of the camshaft thrust bearing shell then.

I've just measured a camshaft and that comes out that the outer edge of the thrust face would be approx 35mm dia. , so it looks like it's the likley culprit.

If your engine was built with a double thrust cam bearing then you might be OK, but if it wasn't then you're going to have a lot of endfloat in your camshaft, and it's only going to be a matter of time before something goes in a big way.

If you turn the pulley by hand, about 1/4 turn clockwise, then back anticlockwise you'll be able to feel and maybe hear the cam clunking backwards and forwards in the case. I suspect there will also be a fair amount of small metal fragments in the oil if it's been running for any length of time like this.

To be abslolutley certain, you could remove the oil pump cover, withdraw the pump gears and feel the end of the crankshaft with a screwdriver. Then turn the engine each direction and if there's visible endfloat motion in the camshaft then I wouldn't risk running the engine on a long trip.

If you did, and there's no camshaft thrust bearing, then the cam is going to be rubbing on the engine case material, and chewing it's way slowly through the engine until either the oil clogs with metal filings, causing oil starvation, or the cam pushes out the camshaft sealing plug, giving a huge oil leak. Whatever, if there's camshaft end float then I wouldn't risk the trip.

Dave.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Mr.Whippy said:
Could be one half of the camshaft thrust bearing shell then.

I've just measured a camshaft and that comes out that the outer edge of the thrust face would be approx 35mm dia. , so it looks like it's the likley culprit.

If your engine was built with a double thrust cam bearing then you might be OK, but if it wasn't then you're going to have a lot of endfloat in your camshaft, and it's only going to be a matter of time before something goes in a big way.

If you turn the pulley by hand, about 1/4 turn clockwise, then back anticlockwise you'll be able to feel and maybe hear the cam clunking backwards and forwards in the case. I suspect there will also be a fair amount of small metal fragments in the oil if it's been running for any length of time like this.

To be abslolutley certain, you could remove the oil pump cover, withdraw the pump gears and feel the end of the crankshaft with a screwdriver. Then turn the engine each direction and if there's visible endfloat motion in the camshaft then I wouldn't risk running the engine on a long trip.

If you did, and there's no camshaft thrust bearing, then the cam is going to be rubbing on the engine case material, and chewing it's way slowly through the engine until either the oil clogs with metal filings, causing oil starvation, or the cam pushes out the camshaft sealing plug, giving a huge oil leak. Whatever, if there's camshaft end float then I wouldn't risk the trip.

Dave.
I rekon you are on the money!

Is it magnetic? (Are bearings?...my first thought is no).

Dan

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
VielziDub said:
I rekon you are on the money!

Is it magnetic? (Are bearings?...my first thought is no).

Dan
Accoring to my manual, the cam bearings are steel shells backed with "white metal" I looked it up because I wasn't sure myself, and didn't have one to hand to test with a magnet.
In fact all the bearings in the engine including the small end bushes have steel in them, with the exceptions being the full circle main crank bearings, which are aluminium. The split crank bearing is coated steel.

Dave.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dodging between 2 engines just now.

Whipped exhaust off and support bar. Typical, couldn't het the pulley wheel off, fin tinware gave me problems getting oil pump gear wheels out.

Anyway......

There play on the cam. Loosened all the plugs, so i could turn by had and lobbed an allen key down hole in oil pump.

If i turned through 180'c fast enoguh i could feel mm or so of movement.
Took a good hour to convince myself though.

Metallic metal bit therefor does seem to the edge of a cam thrust bearing, and my luck, looks like i only have 1 or the other went long time ago.

Think i'lll give up now. Dead engine. Crank/Cam endfloat pistons need done. Too much.

I'll concentrate on getting it out and working on the other.

Many thanks guys

Happy i know whats wrong anyway

1 - 20 of 22 Posts