Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the last hour looking through the tech archive and can't find the answer, so here goes.

Car :-

'71 ball joint bug, adjustable beam, 165/50/15 tyres.

Problem :-

front anti roll bar hitting the ground now and then.

Questions :-
(1) Can the anti roll bar be mounted on top of the lower suspension arms ?.

(2) Has anybody ever tried fitting the anti roll bar to the TOP arms of the front suspension ?.

(3) I read something about a "lowered" anti roll bar, is there such a thing ?, anyone got a link to where I can buy one ?.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Are you sure that your stock Anti Roll Bar has not been fitted upside down ?
I fitted one like that once, realised error when it made horrible grinding noises, flipped it over, and never heard a peep from it.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Which bit is catching on the ground ? Mine was the whole width (when it was the wrong way up). I've heard of the ends catching on really low cars. Some peeps recommend removing it completely, but I would not be HP like that. SSP do "lowered" AR bars, about £ 35.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
take it off?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
if your that low it shouldnt matter and i doubt you will notice..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I remove it, what will I say to the MOT tester when it has it's next MOT (bugger I am the MOT tester lol :D ) ,

I'm guessing noone has tryed to mount it on the top arms then !, I thought that would be the idle solution.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i don't run one on my bug, its low and holds the corners fine without it on! and it sails through the mot as long as there isnt any sign of an anti rol bar they cant fail you but if there is no bar but the clips are still there they can fail you.

·
Registered
25,413 Posts
buy a 'lowered' one and/or mount it on top of the lower arms.
i'm not in favour of removing it - you may not 'need' it, but it's still better with it fitted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have not one fitted and mine failed the test because of that, tester said, if it was fietted at the factory it should be fitted now, bugger,
the bar can be fitted to the top of ythe lower arms, think that you may find clearence probs if you try to fitt it to the top arms tho :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts