Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to adjust the camber on a ball joint beetle?. I had a new upper ball joint pressed into the trailing arms but it now sits pissed, the top is further out than the bottom. I've had a look in the idiots book and haynes but their is nothing in there. I guess the adjustment is at the part that the ball joint sits in which has a hex shape but i need to know for definite. Do i have to jack the car and support the wheel to get adjustment?

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
On one flat of the camber adjuster is a mark that should sit facing forwards in the direction of travel in its basic setting. The adjuster can be turned 90∞ in either direction to obtain the correct camber angle. The angle needs to be measured with the weight on the suspension.Altering the camber angle alters the tracking.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's just what i needed, thought i was in the right area, just needed further info, top stuff

·
Registered
73 Posts
Moby5153 said:
On one flat of the camber adjuster is a mark that should sit facing forwards in the direction of travel in its basic setting. The adjuster can be turned 90∞ in either direction to obtain the correct camber angle. The angle needs to be measured with the weight on the suspension.Altering the camber angle alters the tracking.
I've just got a set of these from SSP to fit along with my dropped spindles. Unfortunatly mine dont have direction mark on them and i've not stripped my old spindles yet.

Would I be correct in assuming that the starting position of the offset hole should be towards the rear of the car (with the mark at the front)? As per Moby's pic?

Or does it not matter, so long as both sides are the same?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Andy K said:
I've just got a set of these from SSP to fit along with my dropped spindles. Unfortunatly mine dont have direction mark on them and i've not stripped my old spindles yet.

Would I be correct in assuming that the starting position of the offset hole should be towards the rear of the car (with the mark at the front)? As per Moby's pic?

Cheers
Andy
Sounds like you've bought a pair of eccentric camber adjusting nuts. These are a repro part and don't have the marking on them.

Is your bug on adjusters too? Eccentric nuts are only really need when going really low on the adjusters. The stock one should be fine if it's with just the dropped spindles.

If you do have adjusters, then you'll more than likely need to fit the nuts so that they pull the top of the spindle as far in as it'll go. (If not, then the stock nuts would definately have been fine).

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Andy K said:

Cheers
Andy
Yes, starting point with the hole at the back, (otherwise it will upset the Castor setting), then turn to move top of the wheel in or out as required. Check that they don't move again while you are tightening up the ball joint nut.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tomarse said:
Sounds like you've bought a pair of eccentric camber adjusting nuts. These are a repro part and don't have the marking on them.

Is your bug on adjusters too? Eccentric nuts are only really need when going really low on the adjusters. The stock one should be fine if it's with just the dropped spindles.

If you do have adjusters, then you'll more than likely need to fit the nuts so that they pull the top of the spindle as far in as it'll go. (If not, then the stock nuts would definately have been fine).
Ah yeah, I think they might of been eccentric camber nuts. Which I did want to fit to my boggo beam. :rolleyes:

However when I looked at the weekend, the beam has rotted at top of the shock tower. So I'm looking at my options now for replacing the entire front beam for a narrowed unit.. :D :D

Ta,
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts