"oh if he sees something move he runs at it"

keep it on the fucking lead then ffs. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
attacking mine; on the lead.

"oh if he sees something move he runs at it"

keep it on the fucking lead then ffs. :mad::mad:
It boils my piss that people let dogs off their leads, while my principles dictate that mine stays on the lead at all times. Granted, mine's only a six-month-old Norfolk terrier but the same rules apply :(

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,372 Posts
attacked it or ran at it?
my dog runs at other dogs sometimes because she wants to play, she is harmless but it does scare some owners or other dogs and sometimes they snap at her(this is in places where its suitable for a dog to be 'off')and owners whinge and moan.

i dont put her on a lead where its possible for her to be free and run around, i like to give her as much freedom as possible.

just to make clear, she doesn't 'attack' other dogs.

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
Tam's boxer has twice been set on in a matter of months because of fucking idiots letting their dogs loose knowing its a mad dog. Now I'm a dog lover but I'd have kicked it in specially as Halle was not that far from them. If it had got hold of her I'd have killed the thing then the owner

·
3,906 Posts
Scooter'll come and defend his boyfriend!!

Mine run at other dogs wanting to play. That's why they're on lead if other dogs are about unless we find people with dogs who also want to play.

Dogs are onlead for a reason, they could have shit recall (like mine) be recovering from an op, be dog aggressive, be people aggressive, be fearful, be old, blind, etc.....it's good manners to find out why a dog is onlead before you let your mutt run up to it.

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
Really? :confused:
How are you supposed to exercise a dog with it on a lead :confused:
With an extendable lead ;)

Seriously, with mine, you just walk with it. He only has little legs, going to the far end of the village and back is more than enough for him.

·
3,372 Posts
Scooter'll come and defend his boyfriend!!

Mine run at other dogs wanting to play. That's why they're on lead if other dogs are about unless we find people with dogs who also want to play.

Dogs are onlead for a reason, they could have shit recall (like mine) be recovering from an op, be dog aggressive, be people aggressive, be fearful, be old, blind, etc.....it's good manners to find out why a dog is onlead before you let your mutt run up to it.
so when i'm in country lane/path with my dog i have to keep her on a lead just in case an old infirm scared dog happens to walk round the corner?

i dont think so. let the dog off to enjoy its life!!! so every now and then you get a bad connection between two dogs. so what? you send your kids to school and let them mix knowing that they wont get on with everyone!

you do get aggresive dogs and these need to be kept under control but the majority of dogs all want to play and have fun.

i find that its the owners who yank their dogs out of the way and try and kick or push my(and others) dogs away from their dogs that cause most of the problems

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
mie doesnt get on with any other dogs what so ever, i only let him off the lead when i am sure there is no other dogs around and even then i keep an eye on him although there was one occasion where he came accross a jack russel (also not on a lead) and the owner decided to hit mine with her lead and kick it even though we was trying to split them up and the jack came upto ours and started it

·
3,906 Posts
so when i'm in country lane/path with my dog i have to keep her on a lead just in case an old infirm scared dog happens to walk round the corner?

i dont think so. let the dog off to enjoy its life!!! so every now and then you get a bad connection between two dogs. so what? you send your kids to school and let them mix knowing that they wont get on with everyone!

you do get aggresive dogs and these need to be kept under control but the majority of dogs all want to play and have fun.

i find that its the owners who yank their dogs out of the way and try and kick or push my(and others) dogs away from their dogs that cause most of the problems
Not at all, if your dog will come back to you when called have it offlead all the time.

Mine love playing with other dogs, so much so that they go completely deaf and will not come back to me. Not a lot of people want two staffies bowling up to their dogs uninvited, so, unless there are no dogs around, they stay onlead until we meet dogs it's safe for them to play with.

When there are no dogs about (several large areas in our local woods) they come offlead and play with each other.

My last dog went deaf and partially blind as he got older and if he was startled by a dog running up to him (while onlead) he would snap...if we had a chance to let him see another dog approaching he would be fine.

Also, dogs aren't kids - I've not heard one case yet where a child in a park bit another and was put down as a result...

·
Registered
14,227 Posts

I'd agree with this to a point. I'll let mine sniff other dogs if they let him, which in most cases they do. I will keep mine on a lead but if there's a lot of traffic about or the path is fairly narrow I'll keep the lead short so I can control him and pull him back if he does try to run out in the road. Usually though the lead is extendable so he can go at his own speed.

·
Registered
15,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
attacked it or ran at it?
my dog runs at other dogs sometimes because she wants to play, she is harmless but it does scare some owners or other dogs and sometimes they snap at her(this is in places where its suitable for a dog to be 'off')and owners whinge and moan.

i dont put her on a lead where its possible for her to be free and run around, i like to give her as much freedom as possible.

just to make clear, she doesn't 'attack' other dogs.
Full on attacked. I don't mind a dog running up and playing or even sometimes a quick bark and nip and they put each other in their place. But this was more than it.

It hurt his leg quite a lot and he still looks grumpy :( He's stopped limping though now so I think he's OK.

I don't mind dogs being off the lead at all as long as they're under control. I let mine off to have a run (not tonight though cos it was dark) and he goes up to other dogs and they play or sometimes put him in his place and he leaves. If when he ran upto other dogs he attacked them I wouldn't let him off the lead and neither should others. Especially in the dark along the beach where a lot of other people are about.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts