Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to get my garage extended this year, and was planning to have a downstairs toilet put in as part of the extension.
I have had two quotes to date one of 15k and the other came in today at 25k!!! :eek:
How can there be such a big difference????
Whats worse my mate over the road who use to be a builder reackons it shouldnt come in at more than 10K as its a small extension.
I quote for custom industrial diamond applications for a living and cannot for the life of me see how you get such a big varience whne quoting to drawings. :(
Thinking of saying bollocks to it and moving now.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
supply and demand if you have a full diary and you dont want to do a job throw a big price at it. get a Qs to cost the materials and give you a rough guide on time scale. and theres always a builder who will say it shouldnt be that expensive when he is not actually pricing the job.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i did get the impression they werent that keen on my crappy little project!!
Could always go on a bricklaying course and build the sodding thing myself :rolleyes: problem is i will probabley still be building it in two years time :( 3 kids + wife working nights aint a good combination.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
expect to pay around 180/250 a day for a good skilled bricky/builder and another 100/day for a labourer,, i qoute on £1500.00/week that earns me a fair wage for the work and hours i do thats for me a labourer and insurance etc etc...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
6yrs and not finished said:
and theres always a builder who will say it shouldnt be that expensive when he is not actually pricing the job.
i reckon about 2k but i dont have time ,sorry :D

were the 2 quotes from firms the same size with exactly the same overheads?
just get the trades in as you need them :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies, me and the wife have had a chat about it tonight and i either build it myself or just bang up a car port instead.

Fatherof2 thanks for the offer mate, im in Blackwater near Camberley. If your close and you wanna come take a look your opinion and advice would be welcome ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fatherof2 said:
:lol: i live in blackwater to, i can pop round sunday morning if you want :)
Small world innit? :lol:
Yeah Sunday morning would be good, will PM you my address, let me know what time suits you.

Cheers

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
I had the same thing when building my extension ...one firm said 27000 and anouther said 25000 and the last one 16000 i was asking my self "why is the last quote so cheep" you realy need 3 quotes to compaire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts