Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a chat with a new lecturer in his late 50's about my Beetle, he mentioned that his sister had his dad's bug as her first car but it hasn't moved out of the garage in over 25 years :eek:
After a few more questions, he told me it was either an A or B reg:confused: and had a split window :eek: UK RHD!
He's asking his dad whether he's interested in selling it and getting back to me on Monday!:D
You never know ....

32,408 Posts
If it's been standing for 25 years then the best you can hope for is a solid ish shell, it will need a complete mechanical rebuild after that lenth of time, and thats assuming that the garage is brick and reasonably water tight and decently ventilated.

If it's a concrete garage then it'll be rusted to fuck.

Lets hope it's a goood'un, but don't go getting your hopes up eh?

btw, a split wouldn't have a suffix letter, the first year was 'A' in 1963.

And Early 60's cars are the best ones ;)

·
Registered
21,199 Posts
Good luck!

It'l turn out to be a 1303 cut'n'shut! :lol::lol:
You joke about it but many years ago I was told of a "really old Beetle for sale in Gateshead" with "a split rear windscreen" and the guy "only wants a few hundred" so I whizzed over, spoke to the guy and the garage door is opened to reveal........... a completely knackered 1303 with a cracked rear windscreen!

Turned out the reason why the rear screen was cracked was because the body and chassis were twisting as the car was so rotten(no bottom 6 inches, doors falling off, chassis spine has the strength of Jacob's Crackers etc etc) And this guy still wanted over £500 for it! :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
167,174 Posts
Could always be a re-registered import car. In those days there was no Q-reg so they just gave them new registrations.

Mrs Venomous's 1302 is a '71 but it has a '72 K-suffix as it was imported into the UK in 1972.
That's what I was gonna post . . . if it was a Split bug imported in '62/'63 it would have been given a mark (plate) for that year ;)

·
ready for the off....
36,567 Posts
A mate and I drove to see a car Ted Birtwhistle (sadly gone just after Tatton i think) a few years back. He described it as a Karmann Cabrio needing a bit of work as it had been stood a while. We pissed ourselves laughing when we got there LHD rotten KArmann body resting on an equally rotten RHD chassis - steering wheel on the left and pedals on the right.

It wasnt worth a shite - he was such a loveable old git we couldnt fucking fall out with him so we forced him to make us a cup of tea before we piss off back home :)

·
Administrator
167,174 Posts
RHD?

Would have to be an Irish or Swedish car then, can't see that being a realistic one.

I'd bet it's either a Split or a 60's car, not a split with a sufix plate.
Ah! I missed the RHD reference . . . as you say (post) Swedish Split Bugs were RHD

My 'gut' tells me it's an early 60s Bug (still cool :))

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.