Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to fit a temp gauge to my 71 bug, and an oil pressure gauge.
my question is where do you fit them to the engine? or do i need to buy sender units?
and the temp gauge is that worked off the oil temp?
ta bd.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oil pressure - you can use either a mechanical or an electric gauge. But on an air-cooled, because the gauge will be a long way from the engine, it makes sense to use an electric gauge. You either need a T-piece to connect both the oil pressure switch and the new sender to the engine, or you can buy dual senders - they have one terminal to go to the oil pressure light (replacing the existing switch) and one to go to the gauge.

Temperature - yes, you are generally measuring oil temperature (though there is also a cylinder head temp gauge). Gauge is electric, and you need a separate sender. Three types available for VDO gauges - one replaces the dipstick, one replaces the sump plug, one goes in place of the pressure relief valve screw. Personal preference really, but if your Bug is lowered (or suspension is shot) the the sump plug one gets awfully close to the ground.

VDO made the original VW instruments, and are a popular choice, especially as they understand air-cooled VW engines. Try VW Heritage or any of the other usual suspects. There are others, eg Durite, but none other than VDO (that I know off) do temperature senders specifically for aircoooleds.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts