Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
As from previous post I have my1970 1300 swing axel gearbox removed from my beetle. I thought while it's out I want to remove axel tubes and clean treat and have better access for cleaning the side plates.

What can I use to clean the main gearbox body ?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Gas

I will also need new gasket shims if I'm removing the axel tubes. Please recommend a replacement kit ? Will also need new oil please help on grade etc ?

Once I have all parts cleaned and degreased I shall epoxy mastic all parts and topcoat.

If I have missed anything help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Various wire brushes in a drill will get most of it done.
Csp do a nice kit for ~£50 odd that has a selection of axle tube gaskets aswell as new boots and hub seal kits.
80w90 gl4 or 5, around 2.5l.
Gl5 is better, and no it won't eat your syncros :)

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Any heavy duty cleaner that will actually eat and soften the dirt will do but make sure it's not caustic as anything caustic will eat the aluminium of the gearbox case. The above selection of drill wire brushes will get into all the nooks n crannys.
Any of the usual suspect for suppliers should have the gaskets and seals you require. You can even make your own from gasket card that can be bought in different thicknesses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Various wire brushes in a drill will get most of it done.
Csp do a nice kit for ~£50 odd that has a selection of axle tube gaskets aswell as new boots and hub seal kits.
80w90 gl4 or 5, around 2.5l.
Gl5 is better, and no it won't eat your syncros :)
Hi thanks for your help I have axle boots already so will look for gasket set only. The csp kit look decent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any heavy duty cleaner that will actually eat and soften the dirt will do but make sure it's not caustic as anything caustic will eat the aluminium of the gearbox case. The above selection of drill wire brushes will get into all the nooks n crannys.
Any of the usual suspect for suppliers should have the gaskets and seals you require. You can even make your own from gasket card that can be bought in different thicknesses.
Hi I have just tried brake cleaner but it evaporates quickly. Just searching now for HD cleaner. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
Hi I have just tried brake cleaner but it evaporates quickly. Just searching now for HD cleaner. Thanks.
I used Jizer degreaser, then pressure washed it. Got rid of all the oily muck.
When dry, the wire brushes worked well on the the powdery surface corrosion.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
My brother does vapour blasting, let me know if you want his details I can give you his number.
The finish from that is second to none and saves a lot of elbow grease!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Vapour is nice but make sure the breather hole is blocked up.

Otherwise you can use white spirit or paraffin. This loosens the oil-mud and washes it off unlike brake cleaner which flashes off too fast. Disposal afterwards is a pain though. Another option is modern degreaser like the stuff Screwfix sell, much better than the rubbish stuff I’ve bought in the past.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vapour is nice but make sure the breather hole is blocked up.

Otherwise you can use white spirit or paraffin. This loosens the oil-mud and washes it off unlike brake cleaner which flashes off too fast. Disposal afterwards is a pain though. Another option is modern degreaser like the stuff Screwfix sell, much better than the rubbish stuff I’ve bought in the past.
Yeah I have been thinking about the vapour method and I know I'm removing the axle tubes etc but did not plan on removing the internals. I think this would need to be done if I use the vapour blasting.
That maybe more than I rally want to take on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it will see me out lol.That could be a problem I plan on fitting the box 1st then axle and tubes after if possible as its a one man band here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts