Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
As from previous post I have my1970 1300 swing axel gearbox removed from my beetle. I thought while it's out I want to remove axel tubes and clean treat and have better access for cleaning the side plates.

What can I use to clean the main gearbox body ?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Gas

I will also need new gasket shims if I'm removing the axel tubes. Please recommend a replacement kit ? Will also need new oil please help on grade etc ?

Once I have all parts cleaned and degreased I shall epoxy mastic all parts and topcoat.

If I have missed anything help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Various wire brushes in a drill will get most of it done.
Csp do a nice kit for ~£50 odd that has a selection of axle tube gaskets aswell as new boots and hub seal kits.
80w90 gl4 or 5, around 2.5l.
Gl5 is better, and no it won't eat your syncros :)
Hi thanks for your help I have axle boots already so will look for gasket set only. The csp kit look decent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any heavy duty cleaner that will actually eat and soften the dirt will do but make sure it's not caustic as anything caustic will eat the aluminium of the gearbox case. The above selection of drill wire brushes will get into all the nooks n crannys.
Any of the usual suspect for suppliers should have the gaskets and seals you require. You can even make your own from gasket card that can be bought in different thicknesses.
Hi I have just tried brake cleaner but it evaporates quickly. Just searching now for HD cleaner. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vapour is nice but make sure the breather hole is blocked up.

Otherwise you can use white spirit or paraffin. This loosens the oil-mud and washes it off unlike brake cleaner which flashes off too fast. Disposal afterwards is a pain though. Another option is modern degreaser like the stuff Screwfix sell, much better than the rubbish stuff I’ve bought in the past.
Yeah I have been thinking about the vapour method and I know I'm removing the axle tubes etc but did not plan on removing the internals. I think this would need to be done if I use the vapour blasting.
That maybe more than I rally want to take on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it will see me out lol.That could be a problem I plan on fitting the box 1st then axle and tubes after if possible as its a one man band here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't think you'll have the clearance between the frame horns and the boot floor to be able to fit the axles in the car.
I've fitted one complete drum to drum and I laid thick blankets down on the frame horns and spring plates to slide it in without taking paint off. Was a struggle but it went.
Well that's told me then 👍blankets it is then. I mite leave drums off as every little helps 😅
Just ordered gearbox gaskets set and box mounts and hub seal and brake cylinders set from Heritage

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah that sounds good we will see how I feel on the day . I do have a set of different circlip pliers but only a us pro brand good but not quite upto the job. Think I need a heavy duty type but we see how I get on.

Yeah I shall probably do the same when it comes to the axle and fulcrum plates etc.

I did take the nose cone off for getting better axess for cleaning the crap off round the back of the nuts and washers.

Apart from the rest of the gaskets / spacers do I need any sealer type stuff. I noticed when I stripped it down no sealer of any type was present.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As lukej said, you can't get sockets on all the side plate nuts with gearbox installed between the frame horns, and difficult to tighten evenly and ensure the gaskets are correctly positioned ,to avoid leaks. I assembled axles, tubes and the gaiters (not the split type), before fitting the assembly to the car. It can be done single handed, just take your time and go gently.
I used 3 dolly trolleys, one for the box and one for the outer end of each axle. Adjusted height of the car to match the trolleys, and it rolled in without damaging paint on frame horns or gearbox & tubes.
All taken on board Bada Ben .👍

1 - 17 of 17 Posts