Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I don't think you'll have the clearance between the frame horns and the boot floor to be able to fit the axles in the car.
I've fitted one complete drum to drum and I laid thick blankets down on the frame horns and spring plates to slide it in without taking paint off. Was a struggle but it went.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't think you'll have the clearance between the frame horns and the boot floor to be able to fit the axles in the car.
I've fitted one complete drum to drum and I laid thick blankets down on the frame horns and spring plates to slide it in without taking paint off. Was a struggle but it went.
Well that's told me then 👍blankets it is then. I mite leave drums off as every little helps 😅
Just ordered gearbox gaskets set and box mounts and hub seal and brake cylinders set from Heritage

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Very nice.
I don't know that you won't have the room, but if it can be assembled on the car, it'll be very tight... I guess you could slide the bare gearbox onto the frame horns half way, then build the tubes up maybe?
Do you have some decent circlip pliers for side gear thrust washers?
I find it easier to slot the axles and fulcrum plates into the sidegear then slide the whole lot into the diff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah that sounds good we will see how I feel on the day . I do have a set of different circlip pliers but only a us pro brand good but not quite upto the job. Think I need a heavy duty type but we see how I get on.

Yeah I shall probably do the same when it comes to the axle and fulcrum plates etc.

I did take the nose cone off for getting better axess for cleaning the crap off round the back of the nuts and washers.

Apart from the rest of the gaskets / spacers do I need any sealer type stuff. I noticed when I stripped it down no sealer of any type was present.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Well it will see me out lol.That could be a problem I plan on fitting the box 1st then axle and tubes after if possible as its a one man band here.
As lukej said, you can't get sockets on all the side plate nuts with gearbox installed between the frame horns, and difficult to tighten evenly and ensure the gaskets are correctly positioned ,to avoid leaks. I assembled axles, tubes and the gaiters (not the split type), before fitting the assembly to the car. It can be done single handed, just take your time and go gently.
I used 3 dolly trolleys, one for the box and one for the outer end of each axle. Adjusted height of the car to match the trolleys, and it rolled in without damaging paint on frame horns or gearbox & tubes.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
No gasket goop anywhere except on the brake back plates/bearing caps.
For me, I have never had them seal up at the hubs even with new gaskets and O Rings. I just smear a light coat of RTV either side of the backing plate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As lukej said, you can't get sockets on all the side plate nuts with gearbox installed between the frame horns, and difficult to tighten evenly and ensure the gaskets are correctly positioned ,to avoid leaks. I assembled axles, tubes and the gaiters (not the split type), before fitting the assembly to the car. It can be done single handed, just take your time and go gently.
I used 3 dolly trolleys, one for the box and one for the outer end of each axle. Adjusted height of the car to match the trolleys, and it rolled in without damaging paint on frame horns or gearbox & tubes.
All taken on board Bada Ben .👍

21 - 33 of 33 Posts