Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hannibal Selecta
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the rear bearings on the back of the square over the last couple of weekends but something isn't right.

The first side went without a hitch, the old bearing came of with only a bit of a struggle and all bolted back together trouble free. Then, on the other side, I we hit problems. First of all the bearing was a bitch to get off but came off eventually. Then when I put the new bearing on it didn't seem to go on all the way but we bolted / torqued everyhting up thinking it would bush it home but when everyhting was back together both wheels locked up and would turn. We thought this was due to the bearing not being home fully and puching the axle to far into the diff. So we thought there might be some corrosion on the axle to stop it going further (as they don't get that much oil due to my camber) so whipped the bearing of (smashing it in the process), cleaned the axle with some wet and dry and fitted another bearing but hit exactly the same problem. So, after removing the bearing (smashing it again!!) we started to measure the elements that went on the axle with a digital measuring device. It turns out the bearing was seating on the back spacer but this stopped it seating in the bearing housing. Now the amout it was out was 6mm, the same width as the back spacer, so upon removing the back spacer everything went back together. the wheels didn't lock up and drives fine even though it appears the one axle now sites 6mm further out

I am a bit worried that the bits that came out will not go back in, and I will be going to Bad Camberg / Bug-in in a few weeks so I don't want my gearbox to fook up halfway into Germany because something in there has come out of alignment or broken. Has any one got any ideas what might have caused this and a solution?

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you

(BTW, its a swing axle gearbox)

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
seeing as noone else has replied...off the top of my head...

if you jack the car up on the relevant side and yank the wheel... is there in and out play?!...of a mm or 3?!.. if so its bad and needs to be sorted...

is the spacer behind the bearing on the right way?.. it only goes in one way...

are both hub nuts tightened up to the correct torque?!.. the axles dont "pull in" properly until this is done... if you can get both split pins in they should be nearly there... dont worry about that until the axles sorted though...

i would say youre right to be concerned and the rear spacers possibly the culprit..

good luck with it...

·
Registered
187 Posts
sounds like you pulled the axle out a little to far and the fulcrum plates slipped behind the axle in the diff stopping it going in all the way,you need to get the axle tube cover of the box to get in there,easier with the box out,then remove the circlip,washer and axle will be free to come out,then you will see to half moon shaped pieces,these sit either side of the axle spade and a right bitch to get to stay in when you put it back together,good luck,
Bill

·
Hannibal Selecta
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for your replies guys :D

qwan, I know the rear spacer isn't the problem as the only way to get it working was to take that out, cheers for your thoughts tho n:hangloose

billnorth, I have posted this query elsewhere and your the 3rd person to suggest fulcrum plates, so I am gonna expect this to be the case but I would of thought it would make some kind of noise if it was (which it doesn't)

I have managed to get use of a garage next week so the gearbox is coming out! I'll post what the outcome is.

Thanks again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts