Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gearbox to chassis earth - Now won't start

Morning all. I believe the earth strap between the gearbox and chassis is rusted through. The battery is earthing on the engine block (72 bay, 1776 engine - don't have the code just yet).

The question is, do I have to use a specific earth strap? If so where do I get it from? I know it may sound stupid, but neither GSF nor JK seem to have one. As it's relatively short notice, could I pick up one from Halfords?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta Moby, I'll see if I can have a look this afternoon. I know you answered a similar question, with one of your funky diagrams, but for the life of me I couldn't find the thread.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony. I did think of VWP, but I always seems to have 2 day delivery when I order from them.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Won't start now. Alternator/generator?

How can I tell if I have an alternator or a generator? It's a 1776 and type 1's are new to me.
Oil light comes on, can't hear a click (1972 bay pick up), no generator light, but in the week I have had it that has never come on.
Have printed off the stuff from Speedy Jims site. Any other suggestions?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Yellowperil1/1776engine.jpg
At the moment this is the only pic of the engine bay I have. Can't really see the alt/gen wiring from this angle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks like an alternator to me from the pic - pretty sure there was never a dyamo with that "three screws in a triangle" arrangement on the front. Would like someone else to confirm though, before you take my word for it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one, am at work trying to find out if I can get anything from GSF/Halfords around the corner before I get the final push start from my colleagues and head home.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
tonyhedge said:
Looks like an alternator to me from the pic - pretty sure there was never a dyamo with that "three screws in a triangle" arrangement on the front. Would like someone else to confirm though, before you take my word for it.
I concur, definately an alternator, (can't see if it's the internal or external regulator type though). :D

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
nosfera2 said:
Nice one, am at work trying to find out if I can get anything from GSF/Halfords around the corner before I get the final push start from my colleagues and head home.
A jump lead from battery negative to chassis would provide a temporary earth for the starter, until you can get a proper earth strap. Don't leave the jump lead on whilst you drive it though.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, alternator it is. Makes my life a little easier. Got a push start home. Battery is now out and charging.

As I drove I realised that if I put the beams on, the engine had a loss of power. Also the indicators would flash twice normally, but then flash double time (like when a bulb is shot) even though all the bulbs are working. Any ideas as to what could be causing that?

Laurence - agreed I can't tell either if it is an external or internal regulator, but here is a pic from the other side. I don't see an external one usually on the firewall, but this is a pick up. So a little different I think? Couldn't see a serial number on the alternator.

Earth strap from gearbox to chassis looks fine. PO told me it was shot, but I got under to look when I got home. To me it looks OK. It's the lousiest of the lousy pics, but it's a phone cam and it is very wet outside.

What is curious is the earth on the battery. There's an earth strap running from - pole on the battery marked A. B is a cable that runs from the - pole of the battery to the engine. This can be seen in the previous "is this an alternator" pic. Then C... well I have no clue.

Here's a close up of the earth strap arrangement. C is a thin wire, white with a red stripe (could do with a beer right now) that dissapears into the main loom.

An here's a shot of the starter:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Time to find a wiring diagram!

Take a look at The Samba - should be something there. They tend to be USA spec diagrams, but you should find something close.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tonyhedge said:
Time to find a wiring diagram!

Take a look at The Samba - ...
Hi Tony,

I tend to work from vintage bus. Came in very useful when I rewired my 73 bay.

Ta for the pic Moby, will be having a look as soon as I have my first (of many) cups of coffee.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moby, from the digram it's a late alternator with the internal regulator. 1 terminal, 1 nut. The wire from the nut being a thick one running to the solenoid. It has 531 stamped ont it, but apparently nothing else. Do you have any more info on these?

Battery fully charged. 13.04 volts in the bus, then 12.9 once the ignition is engaged.

Tried to fire her up, nothing. Second attempt yielded what sounded like the start of the engine turning (for a split second). Third attempt nothing. No clicks, no turning over, nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
nosfera2 said:
Moby, from the digram it's a late alternator with the internal regulator. 1 terminal, 1 nut. The wire from the nut being a thick one running to the solenoid. It has 531 stamped ont it, but apparently nothing else. Do you have any more info on these?

Battery fully charged. 13.04 volts in the bus, then 12.9 once the ignition is engaged.

Tried to fire her up, nothing. Second attempt yielded what sounded like the start of the engine turning (for a split second). Third attempt nothing. No clicks, no turning over, nothing.

Any ideas?
The wire from the nut goes either to the solenoid or direct to the battery + terminal, it doesn't matter which. The push-on terminal goes to the charge warning light in the speedo. If you short the solenoid terminals as shown the engine should spin over. That will then indicate you have very poor connections on the fusebox or ignition switch or the ign switch is burnt internally. If it doesn't start then suspect the starter motor. All this is assuming the battery is good and the connections to/from it are all clean and tight, particularly both ends of the earth strap.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moby5153 said:
...If it doesn't start then suspect the starter motor.
Lots of sparks, nothing else. I pulled the wire off the terminal and held a scredriver over that one and the one with the big red wire. So I guess it's the starter motor.

Moby5153 said:
All this is assuming the battery is good and the connections to/from it are all clean and tight, particularly both ends of the earth strap.
Battery swapped with my other bay, connections look good, battery earth strap looks OK too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hit the starter with my rubber mallet a few times then did the screwdriver test again. Just sparks and not much else. Is it an engine drop to do the starter on a 72 bay?

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
nosfera2 said:
Hit the starter with my rubber mallet a few times then did the screwdriver test again. Just sparks and not much else. Is it an engine drop to do the starter on a 72 bay?
no, but you have to remove the nut that lives behind the fanhousing on the right hand side if looking from the back of the van which is fiddly to get to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts