Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the dead engine has now been split, i want the cylinder head studs out, all but one came out easily
the last one just won't budge
i've the half of the block loose, clamped the offending stud in my vice to try and twist it out using the block as leverage, it's close on twisting the stud round and ringing it off :mad:
is it OK to heat the block around where the stud is, to remove it
i don't want to risk damaging the block
i guess the last resort is to drill the stud out and retap the block

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I'm just wondering why you want the studs out.
They are usually a bit tight.
If it has to come out, I use a dremell to cut it and flat it, then I use a miller /driller. First, a perfectly central 6mm pilot then a 10mm. It would then be possible to re-tap to remove the threads of the stud.
This is the same type of stud used in the Water boxer and I've spent years getting these out. If necessary, I then helicoil to 12x1.5mm with a 2D coil (depth = 2x diameter)

It's very important that you use the correct name when working on this engine. It's a Jimmy engine... CU Jimmy!:)

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering why you want the studs out.
They are usually a bit tight.
If it has to come out, I use a dremell to cut it and flat it, then I use a miller /driller. First, a perfectly central 6mm pilot then a 10mm. It would then be possible to re-tap to remove the threads of the stud.
This is the same type of stud used in the Water boxer and I've spent years getting these out. If necessary, I then helicoil to 12x1.5mm with a 2D coil (depth = 2x diameter)

It's very important that you use the correct name when working on this engine. It's a Jimmy engine... CU Jimmy!:)
i want the studs out so i can get the block machined, the barreal and pistons are no good, might be a good time to go bigger

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
aaaaaaaah!

The water boxer studs often respond to being beaten shitless on the end with a hammer. Usually 50 blows helps but keep your fingers out the way. Honestly, the only way to get the wbx ones out is the hammer method. If that doesn't work then it's drilling.

There is a brilliant extractor made by Klann which goes onto an impact gun that may do the job. Sealey now make a replica for around 18 quid (klann were £100)

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aaaaaaaah!

The water boxer studs often respond to being beaten shitless on the end with a hammer. Usually 50 blows helps but keep your fingers out the way. Honestly, the only way to get the wbx ones out is the hammer method. If that doesn't work then it's drilling.

There is a brilliant extractor made by Klann which goes onto an impact gun that may do the job. Sealey now make a replica for around 18 quid (klann were £100)
my block is CU aircooled ;)
i know about rotten wassaboxer head studs, i've got that one to look forward to with my t25

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Same type of stud though, in fact some of the WBX ones are the same length.

Go on....... Hit it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts