Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my 1300 twin port (AB case) engine came with a 009 and so I have acquired a Bosch SVA distributor to replace it.

The "new" distributor came from a running 1300 twin port (also an AB case)

My question is what should I be doing to the distributor before fitting aside from fitting new points and condensor, cleaning out the old grease and putting some new grease on the cam lobes?

The replacement distributor says the following on it:

JFUR4
There's a VW part number here but it is unreadable

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
put http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm
this one will let you know if you have the right dizzy for your engine
;)
Hmm interesting - it doesn't seem to list the dizzy I have at all and I don't know what year the 1300 in the car came from (was originally a 1200) - more research to do then :)

**EDIT** Ignore the above! I can't type apparently!

It appears to be a dizzy from a 1970 1.6 engine not a 1300 at all :(

The spec of this dizzy is

Timing Set At:: 5deg ATDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe, vacuum hose(s) connected.
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 9-12deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 6-12deg @ 1500rpm, 22-25deg @ 3800rpm

And the one I require I think is

Timing Set At:: 7.5deg BTDC Static or @ 800-950rpm w/strobe w/vacuum hose disconnected and plugged
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum (Advance Only): 17-19deg @ 1.3 In. Hg, 24-28deg @ 3.2 In. Hg

I guess I can't use this dizzy then :(

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
The shaft may not have any play but I bet the baseplate does. Do a dwell test on it to check. If you get no deviation through the rev range then fit a later vac unit to it and reset the timing to 7.5° BTDC.
If you do get more than 1.5° deviation then you need another distributor. Base plates are available for that one but they're around £35, so add that to a new vac can as well and it starts to become a bit expensive.

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The shaft may not have any play but I bet the baseplate does. Do a dwell test on it to check. If you get no deviation through the rev range then fit a later vac unit to it and reset the timing to 7.5° BTDC.
If you do get more than 1.5° deviation then you need another distributor. Base plates are available for that one but they're around £35, so add that to a new vac can as well and it starts to become a bit expensive.
Cheers Moby - will get it tested - I think if it doesn't test well then a new baseplate at £35 and a vac can at £20 makes it more expensive than a decent repro SVA of the right kind.

I wasn't sure if I had to time to the specs of the dizzy I required or the one I had but that's cleared that one up.

I read somewhere that not all carbs generate enough Vacuum to operate the vacuum advance on an SVDA dizzy - is this correct? If so then I will check my carb - I think I have a 31 PICT 3 but don't have the car here to check unfortunately :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just bumping up this very old thread to say a great bit thank you to Moby5153.

After this very old conversation I abandoned the SVDA dizzy (had a friend with a 009 on a 1600 engine with a 34 PICT carb who wanted it to get rid of his flat spots) and have just done a swap with another mate who had a standard dizzy on twin carbs and wanted a 009. We both have much better running cars (his carbs weren't drilled for vacuum).

I've timed the dizzy using the factory marks but it appears to be running a tad redtarded as there is a flat spot at 2500 (ish) but below and above it pulls like a train - I will have a proper time up tomorrow :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts