Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this message from a good friend and former work colleague today. We knew things werent right a few months ago but it turns out he has kept this to himself. He is only 32 and has a lovely kid and wife.

Cancer fucking sucks! and if there is a god....he blows goats! :mad:

"This morning I have been officially diagnosed with cancer. I have a form of slow-growing Follicular Lymphoma - basically loads of swollen lymph glands in a range of wierd and wonderful places throughout my body. The lump on my neck is just one visible symptom of a much wider disease. Because I have so many, they can't just take one or two out to cure the problem. I was a bit shocked to hear
that at this stage there is no known cure, just a series of treatments that keep it under control and hopefully contain it and keep me going. Apparently this is something that people in their 40s or 50s tend to get so its quite unusual that I should get this at this stage.

As for treatment and impact on work, I have to wait for my consultation on 31 October for this to get a better idea. I will probably need more tests to see whether it has spread to my bone marrow. It is possible that they may only give me treatment at a later stage and keep a watchful eye on things a this time.

Alternatively (and more likely), they could throw me straight into a dose of Chemotherapy amongst other things. They say I ought to be able to continue to work as existing, although some of the treatment may cause tiredness. They suspect I may have had this for a while - possiby years, but we only now know because of the visible lumps on my neck. This blows out the argument that they have found it early so it should be easy to treat.

I asked the nurse whether I would do any harm if I drank
vast volumes of alcohol and thankfully he said no provided I don't fall over and cut anything open!"

i really dont know what to say to him. well...what do you say. Basically the message he passed on is as positive as it gets, and thats hime seemigly looking on the bright side.

Live your life to the full guys, cause you never know whats round the corner. :( :( :(

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That sucks ass mate :(

Cancer is a fucking awful disease and I have lost too many dear ones to it.

I hope he recovers or can be comfortable.

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
:( sorry to hear that fella ,puts things in perpective :(

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
sorry about your bad news regarding your friend.
I work as a haematologist and know quite a lot about the various types of lymphoma.
I dont want to post a whole load of info on here as some of it may not be pertinant to your friend.
When he has his appointment at the end of the month (which is likely to be with a haematologist or on oncologist) he will find out what stage his disease is at (follicular lymphoma is a non-hodgkins lymphoma and grades from 1-4) this will determine what treatment, if any, is needed now or if his lymphoma is in danger of transforming (becoming more aggresive)
usually the first symptoms are swellings in the lymph glands of the neck and groin so it is possible this is an early presentation. He also has age on his side as aggresive treatment is only used on patients under 45. frequently no treatment is required until the disease is stage 3 or above but it really is determined by the presentation of each patient so difficult to generalise.
If you (or your friend) want to ask any specific questions or have any info you have been given clarified then please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can.
Best of luck to him with his treatment
Dan

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks rustie

He always has the fac`t he always looks on the bright side, so has decided to go on hols for a week with his family

he hasnt gone into much detail of the aggressiveness of his condition, or exactly what the treatment will be, but no doubt he will keep us all posted in time. I beleive he had the lumps on his neck for a couple of years but didnt do anything about them. only a few months ago he felt they had increased in size, and after much pestering went to get em checked out

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
toadheaddesigns said:
Live your life to the full guys, cause you never know whats round the corner. :( :( :(
I always say that :)

Thats awful news mate, sorry for you and really sorry for your friend and his family :(

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Tough shit mate.

You need to impress upon your mate that its not an instant death sentence. This is what I thought when my wife was diagnosed. My world fell apart. Well she's still here after surgury and chemo and shes going down the pub tonight! :D

Cancer is very frightning but thats because not enough people talk about it. Therefore its a secret, mysterious world. Bloody hell, people can't even say the word!

Chemo is not as bad as it might seem. Obviously thats easy for me to say, but they are brilliant with anti sickness drugs etc. People still remember how horrific it was in the 1960's and 70's.

People may avoid your mate 'cos they can't cope with the concept of Cancer. Its nothing personal, just their failing, they can't help it, so don't judge 'em too harshly.

Tell your mate, Carpe deium- sieze the day.

And as for you, you don't know how long you have got! One moments inattention at the wheel and you could be 'toast' tomorrow under the wheels af an artic! So the same applies to you as your mate! Sieze the day! That's what we are doing! :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Cancer is evil

Best wishes to your mate, family and friends, its nice to see he has a mate like tou.

Keep him smiling dude

1 - 13 of 13 Posts