Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having listened with interest, (well ok not really with interest) to that blithering idiot Cameron's ideas on the environment. It seems fairly obvious that if he gets the chance, he will tax high poluting vehicles off the road. If this is the case, no doubt most classic vws will fail tough new emissions limits miserably (old technology and all that). What will be the best way (long term) to keep our classic vws on the road? Alternative engines etc? Any suggestions folks? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes mate, I got the copy you sent me. Just need to get my fat gut out to the camper with a tape measure. Thanks for the reply, will be in touch.
Regards

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
If you want to considerably reduce the emissions on an old VW (or indeed any old car with a distributor) it's very simple.

When you're outside the MOT centre, connect a timing light and retard the ignition to about 5 degrees ATDC. It'll run like sh*t but it'll be enough for the engine to idle for the emissions test. As soon as you've finished the MOT test, set the timing back to normal (do NOT run your engine for any longer than needed with the timing like this)

And there ya go - Job done! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Classic cars don't need to do emmissions test! they fall outside the test as they didn't need to be built to todays standards - i've never had a emmisisions test yet..... :hangloose

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Kaya said:
Classic cars don't need to do emmissions test! they fall outside the test as they didn't need to be built to todays standards - i've never had a emmisisions test yet..... :hangloose
Only if it was built before 1975 though. All vehicles built after 1975 have to pass an emissions test - although it's not exactly a tough test!

My '73 Bay was popping and banging during it's MOT test as I hadn't had time to balance the carbs properly. The tester was kinda surprised when the MOT computer told him "visual check only" and as there wasn't any smoke, it passed!

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can increase the efficiency of your motor with a decent set of carbs and ignition. Or preferably an aftermarket, tuneable efi/edis set up.

Or you can fit a modern motor, subaru, ford, pepeot, vw, mazda have all been done before, many others as well I should immagine. Diesel is also becoming a common engine conversion these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts