Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's fella has just ordered a brand new Honda Grom - the 2021 model with 5 speed box. This has got me thinking about 'little' bikes....
The updated Grom looks great, but at that sort of money, I prefer the looks of the 125 monkey which only comes with the 4 speed box (new model due maybe?) and is more expensive. This is a major consideration for a 'fun' bike (my BMW GS is a fun bike too, just different fun).

So looking for alternatives in a similar style, I stumbled across the Benelli TnT125 (2021 model), which is about 30% cheaper than the Grom, and looks similarly spec'd. I can get one for about £2k brand new. At that price, I would forgo the 'retro' styling of the monkey125. I have Benelli dealer local 2 miles from home, whereas my nearest Honda one is probably 20+ miles away.

The Benelli is Chinese made, but ultimately by the same company than owns Volvo.

I know there are a few people on here with an interest in monkeybikes etc, so I'd welcome any opinions...especially on the Benelli...

Thanks!

·
Administrator
166,775 Posts
I can't comment on the Benelli I'm afraid, but I love my 125 Monkeybike - loads of fun through the lanes around here - and a much comfier seat than the Grom.

:)

·
Premium Member
12,509 Posts
I can't comment on the Benelli I'm afraid, but I love my 125 Monkeybike - loads of fun through the lanes around here - and a much comfier seat than the Grom.

:)
I would agree with Brian especially on the seat, the Grom was like sitting on plywood in comparison to the Monkey, not sure if the new one is any better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Grom rides very well - my better half has a suzuki van van - smallish bike but with the balloon tyres its great fun on the lanes

·
Premium Member
15,572 Posts
I looked at a couple of VanVans, they looked (and the limited test rides were) like fun. Having said that, whilst they've not being thrown together by chimps, there's plenty of rattles and a cheap feel about some of the parts. The second hand ones do seem pricy compared to other bikes, but hold their value when getting rid. Ideal for a classic VW owner.😁

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I was going to suggest VanVan too. There's a Monkey and a Grom local to me and for reasons I don't understand the rider of the Grom looks far more ridiculous. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider one. Mind you I can't afford a Monkey or VanVan right now :(

·
Administrator
166,775 Posts
My sister's fella has just ordered a brand new Honda Grom - the 2021 model with 5 speed box. This has got me thinking about 'little' bikes....
The updated Grom looks great, but at that sort of money, I prefer the looks of the 125 monkey which only comes with the 4 speed box (new model due maybe?) and is more expensive. This is a major consideration for a 'fun' bike (my BMW GS is a fun bike too, just different fun).

So looking for alternatives in a similar style, I stumbled across the Benelli TnT125 (2021 model), which is about 30% cheaper than the Grom, and looks similarly spec'd. I can get one for about £2k brand new. At that price, I would forgo the 'retro' styling of the monkey125. I have Benelli dealer local 2 miles from home, whereas my nearest Honda one is probably 20+ miles away.

The Benelli is Chinese made, but ultimately by the same company than owns Volvo.

I know there are a few people on here with an interest in monkeybikes etc, so I'd welcome any opinions...especially on the Benelli...

Thanks!
Did you buy a bike dude? :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you buy a bike dude? :)
Hiya Brian, Not yet... Honda have just announced the 5spd Monkey using the current Grom motor/box in Europe for 2022 (announced this week, but available August this year I think). Apart from the 5spd box and a smidge more bhp, it has a few other improvements (e.g. rear dampers now dual-rate), so I'm going to try and back to back the new Z125monkey, and the TNT125. I prefer the look/style of the monkey, but I like the TNT too - I think they're different rather than better/worse. Monkey is going to have to feel MUCH better than the Benelli to justify the £1300+ premium for a second bike... The Grom is option 3 really, although I like some of the bodywork changes that can be done. Head (wallet) says TNT125 OTR @£2300 before I even try to haggle, Heart says Monkey but that's a chunk more of my hard earned. There's a guy on another forum that I frequent that has a TNT and really rates it with a few little upgrades.
The Monkey will pretty much have to be perfect out of the box, but the Benny gives me £1300 of 'upgrades' to end up in the same place financially. The Honda will keep its value better I suspect, but as I only buy as a long term thing, it's not so much of a consideration.an

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And then I saw this... (on the other Monkeybike Thread)

·
Administrator
166,775 Posts
Hiya Brian, Not yet... Honda have just announced the 5spd Monkey using the current Grom motor/box in Europe for 2022 (announced this week, but available August this year I think). Apart from the 5spd box and a smidge more bhp, it has a few other improvements (e.g. rear dampers now dual-rate), so I'm going to try and back to back the new Z125monkey, and the TNT125. I prefer the look/style of the monkey, but I like the TNT too - I think they're different rather than better/worse. Monkey is going to have to feel MUCH better than the Benelli to justify the £1300+ premium for a second bike... The Grom is option 3 really, although I like some of the bodywork changes that can be done. Head (wallet) says TNT125 OTR @£2300 before I even try to haggle, Heart says Monkey but that's a chunk more of my hard earned. There's a guy on another forum that I frequent that has a TNT and really rates it with a few little upgrades.
The Monkey will pretty much have to be perfect out of the box, but the Benny gives me £1300 of 'upgrades' to end up in the same place financially. The Honda will keep its value better I suspect, but as I only buy as a long term thing, it's not so much of a consideration.an
Good luck dude, whatever you decide. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts