Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help me please people,
i took my '79 bay to the garage and filled up with petrol today. before i went no problem, since i came back got a constant reek of petrol in side and out. even now its been stood for the last 2hrs its still smelling. got no leaks & driving fine. although i turned the tickover down the other day.
i haven't put any additive in but im pretty sure that cant be the problem because i filled it last week in the same way (only had it for 2 weeks).
only put in 21litres (£18 worth) and if im right theyve got approx 40litre tanks.
ANY IDEAS????

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The fuel line running through the tunnel on my beetle had a hole in it once and stank. I didnt replace it for ages cos i couldnt believe that it could develop a leak somewhere in the tunnel for no apparent reason!

You'll just have to trace yours.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had a similar prob last year (I left a massive puddle of fuel all over the garage forecourt where it ran out as I was filling up). I found the filler to tank conn hose the culprit but had to replace all the breather hoses and the filler cap elbow too as they were all perished.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i'll check it out tomorrow, got a couple days off. good job really.

doyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Just new to the forum. I got the same prob on my '74 1584cc 1303s but can't find any leaks. If the engine is idleing for more than 15 mins it starts to run on 3 then 2 then dies. I'm pretty sure she's running too rich. Can anyone post a diagram or a link for me of the carb with the fuel and air screws and how many turns needed. Thanks

·
Registered
19,789 Posts
I had the same on my '79 2 litre bay but even after stripping it for a resto I couldn't find a split hose anywhere or any evidence of fuel leaks.

Where does pipe number 9/27/28 go to? I don't remember having one of those!...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 1600 '79 bay has been doing this for about five years. Sure, it needs fixing but provided you dont overfill and get the stink going I cant report any problems.
Besides, only half a tank at each stops means me ole bus gets more rests on a long haul!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so whats the max u fill up to curley? other peeps have told me bout this as well not convinced its the best solution so ure opinion is welcome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts