Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm still buzzing after not being able to sleep hardly at all last night. :D

My first ever time in the air without being on a passenger plane.. And all on my own... (Well appart from being talked through everything on the radio) Scary buy bloody amazing...!! And I lived to tell the story... Which is more amazing... :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,449 Posts
Cool beans!

I'd love to learn to fly. I know a few people who can and I'd love to give it a go.

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
Great innit? :D

I'm desperately saving all my pennies (and realising a few assets ;)) to buy one :)

Although, I'm currently getting 'flak' from the missus :( She REALLY doesn't like me up in a light aircraft . . . it's making her ill with worry :(

Bri
Poor Chrissy, I'd be the same. It's probably statistically 'safer than crossing the road' but scary biscuits never the less.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian Burrows said:
Great innit? :D

I'm desperately saving all my pennies (and realising a few assets ;)) to buy one :)

Although, I'm currently getting 'flak' from the missus :( She REALLY doesn't like me up in a light aircraft . . . it's making her ill with worry :(

Bri
At least your inside an aircraft..!! I'm doing something slightly different.. I'm flying a paramotor.. Stap a engine with prop on my back like a ruck sack (that's almost 5 stone in weight). Pull the wing up above (like a hugh kite) and hit the throttle and you're in the air. :eek: The sensation of being at 8,000 feet sitting in a little harness with nothing around you but air is amazing... Just like being a bird..!!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,449 Posts
mission said:
At least your inside an aircraft..!! I'm doing something slightly different.. I'm flying a paramotor.. Stap a engine with prop on my back like a ruck sack (that's almost 5 stone in weight). Pull the wing up above (like a hugh kite) and hit the throttle and you're in the air. :eek: The sensation of being at 8,000 feet sitting in a little harness with nothing around you but air is amazing... Just like being a bird..!!
WOW!

The closest I've come to flying anything is... http://www.flybywire-queenstown.co.nz/

Not flying but bloody brilliant fun!

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
girlofleisure said:
Poor Chrissy, I'd be the same. It's probably statistically 'safer than crossing the road' but scary biscuits never the less.
The chances of something going wrong are small but depends if your doing something daft. There is rarely a mechanical error that produces something unrecoverable in a light prop aircraft.
Mostly depends how good a pilot you are.

·
Registered
26,806 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
We've had the 'crossing the road' discussion ;)

Apparently last time I was at Limoges Airport (solo) . . . she was physically sick (at home, pacing and waiting) :(

It's giving me a bit of a dilemma :(
take her with you brian.......once she sees how proffessional flight school is it may settle the nerves......her thinking what goes on is probally ten times worse than reality..... :eek:

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
We've had the 'crossing the road' discussion ;)

Apparently last time I was at Limoges Airport (solo) . . . she was physically sick (at home, pacing and waiting) :(

It's giving me a bit of a dilemma :(
Has she been up? My rents got a chance to fly in a Warrior when I was out on a lesson one day. Helped them to realise what its like.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brian Burrows said:
Now THAT looks fekkin' ACE!! :D
It is....!! :D

And the beauty is you don't even need to take off from an airfield. You can launch from just about anywhere as long as you have permission from the land owner.
You can turn the engine off mid flight and just float around in silence.... Amazing feeling..

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
mission said:
It is....!! :D

And the beauty is you don't even need to take off from an airfield. You can launch from just about anywhere as long as you have permission from the land owner.
You can turn the engine off mid flight and just float around in silence.... Amazing feeling..
How do you go about taking off and landing? Do you have to run? Can you run with a fan on your back!? How much room do they need anyway?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian,

I was thinking that for next years Big Bang at the Pod, I might fly there (assuming the weathers OK). Should be able to get some cracking arial photos of Big Bang. Assuming the Pod wouldn't mind me landing in an adjacent filed or something. Just a thought... Hey and the motors Air-Cooled.. LOL..

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
mission said:
Brian,

I was thinking that for next years Big Bang at the Pod, I might fly there (assuming the weathers OK). Should be able to get some cracking arial photos of Big Bang. Assuming the Pod wouldn't mind me landing in an adjacent filed or something. Just a thought... Hey and the motors Air-Cooled.. LOL..
:lol: would you be interested in doing a VZI air taxi service for all us bone idle peeps that cant be arsed driving :D :crazy:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ProfessorWheeto said:
How do you go about taking off and landing? Do you have to run? Can you run with a fan on your back!? How much room do they need anyway?
Yes... Depending on wind conditions and the power of your motor. If there's a gental breeze, you can open up the throttle and your off the ground in two of three steps.. If theres no wind, then you may have to run along a bit to get some speed.
Amount of space depends on how much practice you had. My instructor can take off in and area no wider that thirty feet by sixty feet and land on any spot you pick (just like a parachutist).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts