Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of replacing my bust laptop with a handheld thing

maybe this one:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...ukdhs1&~ck=anav&a=853~0~2901&navla=853~0~2901

couple of questions

is this the best bet for under £300?

and if you use one, what exactly is the deal with using the web? sorry to ask such a simple question but I don't want to get the wrong thing

all I want to do is write notes on it, check my email and come on here... that's about it

cheers in advance

:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,771 Posts
Dunno but I bought a couple of the O2 XDA things as cheap sat navs and a fold up keyboard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Hello,

I've just bought a MIO P550, cost me 249quid off ebay, and it's brilliant, one of the best i've used.. It comes with Wifi and Bluetooth as standard but the best bit is that it has a built in GPS reciever which means that you can , as I have done stuck Tomtom5 on it and use it as a GPS navigation for the car, and it's very good at that too. It comes with all the usual bits like, power adapter, USB cable but also a car charger and a window mount.

Have a look and see what you think, Can't fault mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,810 Posts
peelo said:
thinking of replacing my bust laptop with a handheld thing

maybe this one:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...ukdhs1&~ck=anav&a=853~0~2901&navla=853~0~2901

couple of questions

is this the best bet for under £300?

and if you use one, what exactly is the deal with using the web? sorry to ask such a simple question but I don't want to get the wrong thing

all I want to do is write notes on it, check my email and come on here... that's about it

cheers in advance

:)
I've got a pda which I can use for emails & the internet....

BUT

..it is in no way a replacement for a laptop.

The internet gets squeezed on to a small screen.

If you use a PDA as a filofax then it works well. I don't think that anyone could use it as a laptop replacement. It is too small.

If you want something you can reply to emails with then a pda is pretty cool but it works well in conjunction with a laptop/desktop.

In answer to your questions.

1. I think that Dell *spit* still make the best VFM pda around. They are also pretty well spec'd and I think nothing beats them for cost against performance.

2. The Internet gets squeezed onto the screen. There are 2 ways I can do it on my pda. So that it goes in one long column as wide as the screen and just very long or so you can scroll all round the screen. I usually run with the 1 column display as it is easier to read stuff on it.

3. Writing notes - Easy. You can write on the screen in real handwriting/grafiti/on screen keyboard/ or get a fold up keyboard/ or do what I did and have a bluetooth laser projecting keyboard!

4. Checking email - I have a phone/pda which means I can download my emails via gprs as well as via wifi. If you are going for the dell machine I 'think' it has wireless built in (do check!) so you'll only be able to check your emails when you are in a wifi zone or it is connected to a computer connected to the web.

5. Coming on VZi - You can do it. but it doesn't look great. Also, you can only do it when you are connected to the net via Wifi.

You might be able to connect via bluetooth to your phone and then use your phone for an internet connection. This will cost ££££.

If you are interested I might still be able to get a discount from Dell *spit*

probably only 5-10%.

let me know.

Wiltsteve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
littco said:
Hello,

I've just bought a MIO P550, cost me 249quid off ebay, and it's brilliant, one of the best i've used.. It comes with Wifi and Bluetooth as standard but the best bit is that it has a built in GPS reciever which means that you can , as I have done stuck Tomtom5 on it and use it as a GPS navigation for the car, and it's very good at that too. It comes with all the usual bits like, power adapter, USB cable but also a car charger and a window mount.

Have a look and see what you think, Can't fault mine.
cheers... does look pretty cool :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wiltsteve said:
I've got a pda which I can use for emails & the internet....

BUT

..it is in no way a replacement for a laptop.

The internet gets squeezed on to a small screen.

If you use a PDA as a filofax then it works well. I don't think that anyone could use it as a laptop replacement. It is too small.

If you want something you can reply to emails with then a pda is pretty cool but it works well in conjunction with a laptop/desktop.

In answer to your questions.

1. I think that Dell *spit* still make the best VFM pda around. They are also pretty well spec'd and I think nothing beats them for cost against performance.

2. The Internet gets squeezed onto the screen. There are 2 ways I can do it on my pda. So that it goes in one long column as wide as the screen and just very long or so you can scroll all round the screen. I usually run with the 1 column display as it is easier to read stuff on it.

3. Writing notes - Easy. You can write on the screen in real handwriting/grafiti/on screen keyboard/ or get a fold up keyboard/ or do what I did and have a bluetooth laser projecting keyboard!

4. Checking email - I have a phone/pda which means I can download my emails via gprs as well as via wifi. If you are going for the dell machine I 'think' it has wireless built in (do check!) so you'll only be able to check your emails when you are in a wifi zone or it is connected to a computer connected to the web.

5. Coming on VZi - You can do it. but it doesn't look great. Also, you can only do it when you are connected to the net via Wifi.

You might be able to connect via bluetooth to your phone and then use your phone for an internet connection. This will cost ££££.

If you are interested I might still be able to get a discount from Dell *spit*

probably only 5-10%.

let me know.

Wiltsteve
cheers... will let you know

that's a helpful reply... I don't want it to replace the laptop really... it's more that I will use it more than I did my laptop

and will in the long run get another laptop sorted

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,810 Posts
peelo said:
cheers... will let you know

that's a helpful reply... I don't want it to replace the laptop really... it's more that I will use it more than I did my laptop

and will in the long run get another laptop sorted

:)
I use my pda for everything I can.

Diary
Contacts
Notes
Voicenotes
email (on the go)
and sometimes the internet.

When I'm trawling through charity shops or the like I often use it to check the price that stuff goes for on ebay. Saves me buying stuff that wont make a profit ;)

Wiltsteve

p.s. They aren't as practical as they seem. The screen can break really easy. I had it in its leather case and it still broke. Cost me £70 to be replaced and another £20 for a hard metal case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
i just bought an ipaq from ratty off here and i love it. got a desktop at home and when i'm off out and about i can write out notes or tasks, check my emails (hotmail, outlook, whatever), i've been on msn with it a few times. internet isn't that bad either, you get used to it, but it is a small screen. then when i get home, i can sinc it all with the desktop. also got a few movies and a load of tunes on it (just bought a 4gig mem card which helps with that). worth every penny in my opinion, altho obviously i got it a fair bit cheaper being second hand.
dunno where you live, but if its anywhere near notts, you're welcome to try it out :hangloose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frosty_the_snowboarder said:
dunno where you live, but if its anywhere near notts, you're welcome to try it out :hangloose
cheers for the offer :)

but I'm a fair way from notts
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top