Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i've finished building my 1600tp twin dell engine but a rough measuring exercise has shown me that the engine is too wide for the engine bay, i know that the 1200's were more narrow than all other engines, but my car was originally a 1300.
What modifications need to be made and has anyone put inspection hatch things in their rear wheel bulkhead? to aid access to plugs etc...
THanks.
Steve

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I put a Hooky's Panel Shop inspection hatch kit into my oval so that I can fettle with the 2165 that belongs in there.

Top kit and easy to fit even for a very novice welder.

There is a good "how To " on his website. Just Google Hooky's Panel Shop".

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Hi i've finished building my 1600tp twin dell engine but a rough measuring exercise has shown me that the engine is too wide for the engine bay, i know that the 1200's were more narrow than all other engines, but my car was originally a 1300.
What modifications need to be made and has anyone put inspection hatch things in their rear wheel bulkhead? to aid access to plugs etc...
THanks.
Steve
The stroke of a 1300 engine at 69 mm is the same as the stroke of a stock 1600 engine,the difference in displacement being a result of different cylinder bore, so your new engine in theory shouldn't be any wider than the unit originally fitted.........:confused:
I'm guessing that your new engine is wider due to the twin carbs and manifolds fitted?
This may sound like a dumb statement but when fitting twin carbs you normally need to fit the engine minus the carbs etc and only fit them when the engine is installed within the engine bay? :D
Clearance is often fairly tight within the engine compartment when fitting twin carbs, when I fitted mine I had to make a few holes in the tarboard panels lining the engine bay so the carbs would sit properly.......................

;)

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The engine compartments are identical. You need to watch out for overheating if you're using a solid deck lid.
For the past 15 years or so, I've grafted a couple of 90 degree 4" piped into the bulkhead and down through the parcel floor, often putting the cooler underneath so it draws air through it. that's on 2.1s etc.
It means also that your bug becomes more of a 'sleeper' with a BAS 2 tail pipe system sticking out the back, it looks almost stock. Good fun on the Edinburgh bypass.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
has anyone put inspection hatch things in their rear wheel bulkhead? to aid access to plugs etc...
THanks.
Steve
Several people have, but if you have the right tools you don't need to.

I cut holes in mine but I just found it easier to do the job from inside the engine bay with the right tools than fiddling about under the wing.

So I've welded them up again.

Dave.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks everyone, thats the kinda advice i wanted.
when tuning the carbs, adjusting mixture etc, i just wanted to make sure i can actually adjust them properly.
Do ppl have problems with this?
Take it easy, keep them coming....
Steve
OH also i was thinking of an engine standoff kit, but as its a daily driver i worried about the water and stuff getting to the engine bay.
any advice.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The 4" pipes I described mean that you won't need stand offs. They're working on loads of big engines (1776 to 2.1)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers mucky green, can you explain where the pipes go and why, i'm a bit confused at the moment...
A pic of yours might be great!
Cheers.
Steve

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
You can prop the lid open at the bottom instead of using standoffs at the top, it has the same effect, and can be removed much more easily when you need the lid to be shut, such as wintertime or when you're only doing short journeys.

I think Mucky Green is doing something similar to this - http://www.cal-look.com/tech/keepingcool.shtml

The basic idea is to ram as much cold air into the engine bay from underneath the car as possible. I'm planning a similar mod for my car when it's back on the road.

Dave.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers dave that sounds like a good plan. thanks for the explanation!
I shall look into it, it as at the moment only a stock 1600 just with 2 dells.
Ultimately i'd like bigger displacement and other little tweaks, can't be too hot as its a daily driver!
take it eassy.
steev

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I can't find a picture of one done at the moment. I'll try to contact one of the guys in the Lothian VW club that have had it done.
I did find a listing on Ebay for the 90 degree ducts though so you can get a pic of the duct The listing number is 160198700450
This is not to try and sell the stuff, just to show you what I mean.
A number of people have used 90 degree sewer pipe bends and colour coded it to the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts