Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It maybe an old thing but we bought it relativly recently secondhand for my girlfriends course...today when you go to turn it on it freezes at the first 'IBM ThinkPad' startup screen. There is some text bottom left saying:
Press F1 for IBM BIOS setup Utility
Press F12 to choose temporary boot device
...but no buttons or control-alt-deletes etc seem to do anyhting. The only button that works is the 'power off' ! :(

What's up with it? I am thinking it maybe something to do with the hard drive since this light is on (at least I am guessin it is this light- cylinder shaped with arrows), along with the power, but goes out after about 30 secs or so.

Any computer buffs willing to offer advice/ diagnosis from here?

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
VielziDub said:
It maybe an old thing but we bought it relativly recently secondhand for my girlfriends course...today when you go to turn it on it freezes at the first 'IBM ThinkPad' startup screen. There is some text bottom left saying:

...but no buttons or control-alt-deletes etc seem to do anyhting. The only button that works is the 'power off' ! :(

What's up with it? I am thinking it maybe something to do with the hard drive since this light is on (at least I am guessin it is this light- cylinder shaped with arrows), along with the power, but goes out after about 30 secs or so.

Any computer buffs willing to offer advice/ diagnosis from here?

Cheers,
Dan
I'll call a mate[1960 bus] to look at this,he works there ;)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
i have an ibm thinkpad tooo.... any error codes come up...

my plip battery goes every now n thn...

just need to leave it on standby for a few hours to charge ect..

aint ever herd of ur prob tho...

sorry

mark

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
I have a T43 Thinkpad - and not seen that - but mind you I have had ThinkPads for 8 years and they have never failed - except the one someon else dropped .......
The buttons the mesage refers to exist on mine - so I guess some BIOS settings and or Access IBM tools have been added.
Try pulling the battery and starting up on the power supply.

What happens when you hit the F12 key - you probabaly have to reboot and keep stabbing at it wildly whilst it kicks off. Get a choice of devices, CD etc?

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:( Still not working.

What would happen if the hard drive has bust?

No buttons work at all.

Only other info I have on it my girlfriend said she had maxed out the memory tryingto upload pics from our camera or something :confused: .

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm no expert with them, but based on similar experiences of hard drive boot problems/failurese, it sounds like (as you suspect) it can't find a drive to boot from (hence the temporary device thing).
Enter the BIOS and see if it can identify the drive. Maybe you're lucky and it somehow has forgotten what type/size drive it has. There should be an autodetect option.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My Stink pad died earlier this year, it started by having amnesia (no memory eft) and then would freeze halfway through typing and the only way to get it to go again was to turn it off, flip it over and hit it hard.

This carried on for a few months til the screen then died.

We now have a HP :)

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Possibly the hard drive has died, press F1 and check what hard drive shows up, I bet it cant see it, the T22/T25 models had a drive unit that could come loose if dropped, if it shows a drive then look for 'default settings' run that and reboot,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts