Registered
8,005 Posts
I think they're crap too.

Unless they're early ones.

Karmann Ghia's are nice though. :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I like most of the top 10..... sounds like my dream garage! (except the Suzuki of course) :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Suzuki Wagon R+ is in there. Right. Putting ours up for sale now :lol:. It should be higher than 34. I'd place it at 3 :lol: after the trabant and austin (Not so) allegro!

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
christ...that was back in 2004 lol..Ive got the book somewhere. its crap!
Yeah, he was interviewed about it, yeeeeeears ago, for Retro Rides:

http://www.retroridescommunity.com/articles/richardporterinterview.html

Why do you consider over 21 million people foolish, and name the VW Beetle as a crap car?

I don't consider 21 million people foolish. If you bought a Beetle between the late '40s and about 1970 you were probably buying a reasonable car. What I don't get is the reverence that the car is treated with today. As far as I'm concerned its time has long passed. Plus, I've driven several Beetles and I found them universally awful, as you might expect from something designed before the Second World War. Whereas, for example, at least the Austin Maestro has surprisingly good steering feel. Why is it that Beetle enthusiasts' first line of defence is that it sold in huge numbers? Is Coronation Street their favourite TV programme? Is Coca-Cola their favourite drink? Is popularity automatically synonymous with worth? Is it bollocks.
He's got a point :lol:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sound like a right pretentious prick to me!
Aide

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is weak

"It's a dismal car with its engine in the wrong place. The only good thing about it is that after 57 years of continual production - about 55 years too long - Volkswagen finally killed it off."

After taking a lot of crap about my bug, I wouldn't mind the above, but this guy isn't even funny... he would prob get more laughs setting his hair on fire. :lol:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,331 Posts
Its called satire, you know when you look beyond the protection we feel towards what we like car wise ,you gotta admit he does have some points.
The beetle is a really old design now and im betting the qualitys and comforts we like about them are upsurped by some farm machinery these days.
Its one persons opinion
Take it with a pinch of salt and you are laughing
I know what i like and that will do me

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
10,486 Posts
Indeed, I was quite irritated when the book first came out, and indeed slagged the chap off somewhat but I can't actually argue with the points he makes about it. :lol:

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Satire, says it all, as an expert though in my professional opinion, the guy needs a couple of years at the 'Pyro school of Comedy'

1 - 20 of 33 Posts