Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friend is getting married in the South of France next August. Thinking of bussing from Bilbio or Santander. the route looks like it would be basically just straight through the Pyreneens. ( i don't think they are too hilly?)

Have you done it?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah just done 3000 miles around spain and france went from portsmouth to bilbao takes 30 hours good ferry grossing cost me £452 single grossing then drove back thru france well worth it best of look.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Did Plymouth - Santander not long ago, was a nice trip. As long as you have somewhere to sleep on Ferry.
Get's a bit rough around the bay of biskay as far as I can remember

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,526 Posts
I think its meant to work out about the same costs as driving down through France.

My parents moved to spain a couple of years ago. They chose to drive down through france. They wished they'd got the ferry!!

Driving was hard (8 hours a day for a few days!) and the fuel costs of the diesel cherokee worked out close to £500 anyway!

I've always wanted to take my bus to see them in the costa del sol. Would consider taking ferry to bilbao and then put the bus on the train to seville. Would probably mean that we made it there and back!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I drove my splitty to Ibiza a while ago. Took fookin ages as caught the ferry from Pompey to Cherbourg then drove... Unless your motor does more than 50mpg you're better of ferrying it to Spain and go from there...

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Done it many many times
The costs are roughly the same for two people
It can be very rough in the Bay of Biscay - depends on time of year. December to Feb are worst.
If you can afford it - get a cabin - otherwise take a sleeping back and 'camp' for duration - they did not seem to mind when I did it.
Drive from Santander to the border is fab - do it just for that - and eat in the Basque country - their food is great.

Where in S of France?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like alot of dosh. we are going to Perpingyan ( spell ) but looks like ALOT cheaper to fly with RYAN about £60 per person. Not nearly as much of an adventure but don't think I can afford £500-600 :(

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Flying is undoubtly cheaper. The drive from Santander to Perpignan will take about about 4 hrs in a modern car - but it is through the most amazing country. You could do the first part in the Spanish foothills of the Pyrenees and then cross over and do the later in the French foothills.

Sublime - worth the money.

·
Registered
483 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Flying is undoubtly cheaper. The drive from Santander to Perpignan will take about about 4 hrs in a modern car - but it is through the most amazing country. You could do the first part in the Spanish foothills of the Pyrenees and then cross over and do the later in the French foothills.

Sublime - worth the money.
Sorry dude but Santander to Perpignan is an 8 hour drive at best.
I live on the east coast of Spain, north of Barcelona (Girona) and it takes me an hour to get to Perpignan.

The Santander option is a long journey to get to the south of France if you ask me...unless its the south west. You¥ve got a long ferry journey then a long drive...where¥s the gain ?

If you ask me you should drive through France over 2 days staying in a F1 hotel (25 quid a night) you can even avoid the toll roads.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
yeah what outlaw said - drive through france rather than mucking about with the ferry. used to be an overnighter in a modern coach so prob 2-3 days pottering down.

used to work right near perpignan on the coast and would love to head back there in the bus ... it's a great spot. :)

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
outlaw said:
Sorry dude but Santander to Perpignan is an 8 hour drive at best.
You are right - I was thinking of Pau!!! And 4hrs would be pushing that as well

Still a great drive though.

Have you ever done the Pamplona, Jaca, Huesca, LLeida trip??
Out of this world - travelling along some scenery like the moon.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Cheapest I've found ( but luck played a large part), it was to Tarifa in southern Spain. Freighted two T25's down to Malaga on a 'returning empty' truck £300 the pair incl insurance etc, negotiated with driver. Four cheap flights out @ £38 each. Two weeks there, leisurely drive back to Santander and ferry back. Ferry was about 25% cheaper booked in Spain for some reason. Looked at doing it again through shipping company but haven't found one nearly as cheap

Might be worth putting the effort into trying the freight option :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
We did north east Spain to Spa in a day.

Type 3 square back loaded to the hilt, it took 20 hours at 100kph including fuel and food stops....but was great road trip.

UK to Perpignan is easier and can be done in less time.

Let us know how you get on eh !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts