Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
Yeah, blackberry, apple and damson ace it was. You have to be way patient, but the results are worth waiting for.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Months. i made elderberry wine and it was gone within 4 months, well before it was 'ripe'.

I've also had fantastic results from boxed homemade wine kits but, of course, not satisfactory due to the chemicals etc.

I've made Mead (honey wine HATED IT), tea wine, raspberry, peach (from tinned peaches NICE, but schweet) elderberry (the best) and strwberry. IMHO do it the simplest way, measure the chemicals and yeast etc to the nth degree ad keep the demijohns under the stairs: the perfect hatching place. :D

·
52,672 Posts
Once it is bottled I would say about a year. I left a bottle of damson for 3 years and it was like drinking the nectar of the gods.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
I've made elderberry, made it last year and it still need a bit longer to mellow out a bit. Elderflower is really nice, and now is the time to be making it too.

·
Banned
103 Posts
....when I say the elderberry was gone before it was ready, that was due to over zealous testing. it was like alcoholic sugar syrup and hard for us to resist. :D

·
Banned
103 Posts
funky munky said:
I love Mead. Just can't get it round here for love nor money... maybe I should have a go making it myself.
Oh you must. it's very satisfying but I'd get a good book and a local home brew stockist. That way you can plan to have home brews coming to fruition throughout the year from seasonal produce.

Chin chin!

·
52,672 Posts
funky munky said:
I love Mead. Just can't get it round here for love nor money... maybe I should have a go making it myself.
I've always found it a bit sickly sweet, but we used to drink it when we teenagers as it was cheap and got you pissed quick. Bit like a connoisseurs White Lightning.:D

·
Banned
103 Posts
clarkson said:
I've always found it a bit sickly sweet, but we used to drink it when we teenagers as it was cheap and got you pissed quick. Bit like a connoisseurs White Lightning.:D
I agree. Out of all the 'home brews' mead was the least paletable for a dry wine lovers palette and from your post FM I gather you like a dry-ish and fruity red.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
funky munky said:
Me and my neighbour have been having a think about it. He made some years ago, before he was retired; we're thinking of clearing out both our sheds and having a go...

It might not happen, but it might...
Yes, when I was a poor teenager I made some batches with a couple of friends. First and second batches of white were pretty darn lethal, suprised it didn't kill us. Tasted like cat piss too. Did the trick at the time though. The third batch we made in a friends flat and left (read "forgot") about it while we dissapeared off to america for the summer. We arrived back to find about half the bottles had exploded and painted his flat a nice new shade!

My boss makes some every year, his is pretty renowned for its strength.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
[QUI had a go at beetroot wine a few years agom, for one reason or another I never got arounfd to botteling it so I stayed in the fermening jars for about 18 months untill I had to chuck it when I moved. I couldn't let it go withou a tast. It was suprisingly good nice and dry with a hefty alcohol kick.

Dan

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
funky munky said:
Me and my neighbour have been having a think about it. He made some years ago, before he was retired; we're thinking of clearing out both our sheds and having a go...

It might not happen, but it might...
I have. Including from grapes... we have a vine.

But cider was more fun and much more successful.

This summer I'm going to make some again :)

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Bea said:
I've made Mead (honey wine HATED IT)
I made mead from our own honey. Waste of good honey. I don't know if it just went bad or if it was meant to taste that crap... it went down the drain.

As did my attempt at perry.

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
peelo said:
I have. Including from grapes... we have a vine.

But cider was more fun and much more successful.

This summer I'm going to make some again :)
My neighbour is a bit of a horticulturist; his fingers are greener than kermits' ! :D

I'd love to have a go at this wine malarkey, even if it turns out shyte.

We didn't talk about cider.. now you've planted a seed in my head, I think I should mention it :)

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
funky munky said:
My neighbour is a bit of a horticulturist; his fingers are greener than kermits' ! :D

I'd love to have a go at this wine malarkey, even if it turns out shyte.

We didn't talk about cider.. now you've planted a seed in my head, I think I should mention it :)
if you like cider... it's a damn site easier to make a half decent drink, you can be creative with it by adding other things to the apples and there is a good supply of apples in the UK in late summer... most of which get churned up by mowers or chucked on compost heaps

you need a press (you'd kill a juicer) which you'd need for wine anyway... then you can get an attachment which goes on an electric drill and comes with a lid which fits over a bucket... this pulps the apples before they go in the press

I have made 150 litres in a day. Which was five or so of the big fermentation bins. Then once it was all going I used to split it off into demijohns and make specials with other added ingredients.

Then you just bottle it in empty plastic pop bottles.

Easy peasy to do. The fun and craft came in making it taste different and good by adding other things.

:)

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
peelo said:
if you like cider... it's a damn site easier to make a half decent drink, you can be creative with it by adding other things to the apples and there is a good supply of apples in the UK in late summer... most of which get churned up by mowers or chucked on compost heaps

you need a press (you'd kill a juicer) which you'd need for wine anyway... then you can get an attachment which goes on an electric drill and comes with a lid which fits over a bucket... this pulps the apples before they go in the press

I have made 150 litres in a day. Which was five or so of the big fermentation bins. Then once it was all going I used to split it off into demijohns and make specials with other added ingredients.

Then you just bottle it in empty plastic pop bottles.

Easy peasy to do. The fun and craft came in making it taste different and good by adding other things.

:)
:eek: ! Were you planning on putting Taunton out of business? :D

My hat's off to you dude.

I still plan to go down the wine route, but by your words alone, the cider option sounds excellent. Maybe me and my neighbour can do both; wine in one shed, cider in the other... :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I found my non drinking parents garden full of things to use, made wine and cider last year. The wine is really nice, the cider is real strong but gives you the worst hangover. Just in the process of making some elderflower wine at the mo. Then come september more grapes should be ready. I love it, and its cheaper than buying it. Made some ginger ale too but put in too much sugar and it blew the bottles up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts