Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Is it worth it - a good question!
I did mine as the header was getting the valance paint blistering hot. After wrapping it very carefully and much over-lap I am not certain that it reduced the radiated heat very much. Re positionning the header a centimeter further south helped more.
Maybe it helps in other ways, keeps the gasses hot as they pass through the header, reduces noise.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that. Now, even at £15...is it worth the trouble?

edit: Oops, thanks Thumbs. Any more opinions?

Shane

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i used it on bus and bug, was very pleased with it because i have a tendancy to get under car after run - avoids scorching burns!!

it is supposed to help exhaust flow due to keeping the gases hotter and this changes the flow through the exhaust. you probably won't notice this though!!!

there are two major draw backs in my opinion 1) its fibreglass based and i get rashes when fitting it or touching it and its very uncomfortable 2) it rots your header extra quick due to it getting wet on a run and keeping the condensation in.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you regulary drive your bus in the rain don't do it, it'll rot your head in short order. Dry weather use only? It looks cool and keeps the heat where it's supposed to be, you won't notice any performance difference though...

thanks,
tom.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you need to insulate your exhaust then its worth it, if not then no its not. The muffler on my fastback used to sit under the left hand cylinder head and used to cause me problems. After I wrapped it I could run it hard for ours and then grab hold of it with bare hands. Only nice and warm to touch.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I think it's a NO then. About to replace my header and I thought this would be the best time to attempt a wrap. Sounds like it's not worth the cost/hassle.

T3Madman. Please see signature. So far, no type 3's in the club. We could use you mate!

Shane

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
shane r said:
T3Madman. Please see signature. So far, no type 3's in the club. We could use you mate!

Shane
Been meaning to come over for ages, just not had much chance yet, spending too much time working on the bus. I'll get there one day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts