Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable?

I am looking to replace my existing audio setup with a headless solution, and was wondering if anyone has any experience/thoughts?

Current setup:
  • Old Sony CD headunit
  • Separate line and sub outs to an old Sony 2.1ch behind rear seats
  • 2 6x9 speakers and a 10 inch sub mounted in a custom rear parcel shelf.
Requirements:
  • Headless - I see no point in a headunit when my primary source is bluetooth from my phone
  • Bluetooth and aux in (to use with phone or other headphone level outputs)
  • 4.1 channel out - aiming to use existing rear speakers and sub, and add a Retrosound dual coil speaker to the front so I don't have the deafen the kids in the back!
I am aiming to ditch the existing headunit and amp, but am struggling to find a suitable 4.1ch amp with bluetooth and aux inputs.

I was considering something like this:

But would require a step-up DC transformer to provide 24v input.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I've used a Bluetooth adapter for years, no problems. It is rechargeable and plugs into the line in jacks on any amp via a 3.5mm adapter
I have a separate switch on the dash to turn the amp on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used a Bluetooth adapter for years, no problems. It is rechargeable and plugs into the line in jacks on any amp via a 3.5mm adapter
I have a separate switch on the dash to turn the amp on.
I actually have one of those at the moment, but I can't attach it direct to the amp as the amp requires a separate line level input for the sub. Ideally I need to find an amp that will accept an aux in (or direct BT) and then split the output with a filter for the sub channel.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I use a 4 channel amp in tri mode, so the rear output is bridged into one sub output. There is a low and high pass filter on the amp. It's an od Helex model but I'm sure loads do that now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a 4 channel amp in tri mode, so the rear output is bridged into one sub output. There is a low and high pass filter on the amp. It's an od Helex model but I'm sure loads do that now.
I think that is how the current amp is set up - I'm just not sure that I can split the output from a single input channel.

If I add a front speaker, I'd need 5 channels. Probably looking at 5 channel amp and a half din eq/preamp to replace the head unit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts