Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Got some nice Danish heat exchangers and they fit a treat.
Defintely reccomend them and the back box that I also bought,
PXL_20210613_162036517.jpg
However what the F is this spring thing and how the (insert swear word) do I fit the damn thing?
Its supposed to go onto the shaft that hold the heating control mechanism arm on.
Original diagrams show a circlip or similar!

TIA
Marc

·
Registered
912 Posts
Throw it away. Put a thread on the rod we're that clip is supposed to fit, use a nylock nut

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It's a cheap star lock washer. You just push it onto the rod and the 3 tangs hold it in place.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throw it away. Put a thread on the rod we're that clip is supposed to fit, use a nylock nut
Cheers,
I actually didnt think of that and had my tap and die set close to hand (not that I had any nylock nuts around).
Engine is back in the car now and hopefully even our glorious British weather means I wont need the heat for a few months yet!!! :sneaky:

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Easier said than done! :D
Is there a trick or a tool that helps?
You could try sticking a socket over it, then pushing that while rocking it round in a circle. Maybe add a big set of pliers, hammer, etc. :)

All the under body plastics and heat shields on my t5 are held on with similar things and I used a socket to push those on by hand, but from memory heat exchanger levers are in a pretty awkward space and those clips take a bit of force.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could try sticking a socket over it, then pushing that while rocking it round in a circle. Maybe add a big set of pliers, hammer, etc. :)

All the under body plastics and heat shields on my t5 are held on with similar things and I used a socket to push those on by hand, but from memory heat exchanger levers are in a pretty awkward space and those clips take a bit of force.
Thanks GJ,
Another trick I've just learnt.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts

If space is tight then the right sized G-clamp should work with a suitably sized socket. Would be a handful to get it all in place but the G-clamp would give the force required when leverage room isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
I have one Heat exchanger where the outer end of the lever spindle has been drilled, and fitted with a small split pin and washer instead of those star lock springy thingies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one Heat exchanger where the outer end of the lever spindle has been drilled, and fitted with a small split pin and washer instead of those star lock springy thingies.
That's how the rusty units I removed were setup.
I think I will probably go for the thread and use a nylock washer when I pull the engine again.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts