Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of advice really......my engine seemed to be running sweet until I started playing with it and wondered would these three simple things make a difference.

Changed the spark plugs
Changed air filter (pancake for pancake)
The breather on the oil filler was not connected to anything, so thought it would be a good idea to put a bit of thin cotton material over it and attach with a jubilee clip. (to stop the slight oil from spurting onto the fan housing)

Went out again, and oil was chucking out (not alot but from the dipstick i think) and dropping onto the exhaust...appeared alot hotter than normal and stinky oil smell.

Didn't leak before at all!! - Would something as simple as covering the breather increase the the pressure that much to cause the heat and oil leak!

Too scared to go out again

Or is it all coincidence and i'm just good at shagging engines up.

Pleeeese help

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Would something as simple as covering the breather
An engine needs to breath. If you have restricted the engines breathing the excess crankcase pressure will need to escape some where! I.e the next easiest outlet such as the dipstick.

Remove the cotton material and attach it to you pancake filter somehow. i.e a pipe from the breather to the pancake. The air and any vapour will then be recirculated.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Well they arnt really that sensitive but if u take it off and then start your engine. be careful putting ur hands near moving parts but put your hand next to where the oil breather outlet is and rev the engine from the carb. I think you will be surprised at the amount of airflow u will feel!

Vdub engines just need to breath! Itd be like reducing the size of all the veins and arteries in your body, your heart would still pump as hard and the pressure would force the blood to the weakest point.........I dont know what the human equiverlent is of a dipstick hole lol :eek: :hangloose

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your pancake filter have an outlet for a hose by the way?

Yup, put a bit of material over that as well, thought it was a bit silly having an air filter with a hole in it.

Will go an get a decent bit of tubing to connect the two up. They never have been before however, but not had the van long.

Should I really go for the stock oil bath filter?

Really hope it does the trick....I hate oil leaks

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The stock filter is better to be honest, its better on those colder days for the engine and will avoid carb icing in th colder months.

An oil bath filter is not meant to catch oil though, its designed for oil to always be in it to catch dust particles (invented in the days before paper or modern sponge filters).

But id see how u get on with the pancake filter. get some piping to fit the breather outlet and see it it fits over the pancake filter inlet. Or even inside the inlet. You can then attach a jubliee clip to it to stop it coming out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
similarlly with mine, i've tried to connect a hose from breather to filter, but due to location the pipe always kinks (OK i'm using garden hose) is there a specific hose that will do all the curly wurly bit but won't kink in the middle?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The garden hose will flex too much and will flex and kink even more when warm from the engine.

what u need to do is get hold of some good quality pipe of the right diameter from a car accesory shop. One that flexes but doesnt flex as much as the hose pipe.

Then try it in various different positions attached to the breather and filter. either an 's' shape or various curved shapes.

U can move the filter inlet around as needed and what u want to aim for is the pipe to fit reasonably without any huge kinks. A trick is to have it slightly longer length than you think so that the stress is at each end rather than in the middle causing kinks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts