Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of heater channels for a 71, 1200 beetle! The stardard model with the early rear fenders and lights and small rear window! I didnt end up using them as the car was too far gone!

Anyway theyve been in my shed for years and now a 61 bug might be heading my way in need of heater channels!

What I want to now is will these later channels work on the early car?Im not worried about keeping the car original as it is to be used for street an strip, and more than likely never run heaters!

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
I think the only difference is the '61 wont have sliders over the footwell vents, but that's no problem.

Check the size of the air intake to the heater channels below the rear seat, I'm not sure if that changed during the early 60s? It shouldn't be an issue because you can always rig up an adaptor tube for the heater if you need it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
soz i just had a simalar thing...

would pre 67 heater channels fit a 73 bug? :hangloose

·
6,631 Posts
MowAddict said:
soz i just had a simalar thing...

would pre 67 heater channels fit a 73 bug? :hangloose
I can't remember when the heater duct was moved, '73 or '74. Does yours have a metal vent by your feet or a plastic vent just ahead of the seat?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
plastic cover. but its held on by two screws and when you take the two screws out theres a metal whole...what ay recon? :D

·
6,631 Posts
In that case you'll end up with the heater outlet in the wrong place.

Do aftermarket heater channels have a tube inside or not? If they don't you should be able to just cut the rectangular hole and fit your plastic vent in the right place - some heater channels have a flat pressing I think.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you are not concerned about originality, then it doesn't matter where the vent is. The plastic vent version was introduced for the 1969 model (The internal heater duct was introduced around 1957). The 69 and later channels are better as they will be more effecient at getting air to front screen. However, these later channels are slightly wider at the base of the A-pillar, toward the outside, and are therefore not a straight fit to 67 or earlier cars. This would require a little mod to the lower rear edge of the front side panel (which is often corroded anyway).

Aftermarket panels may not be to original spec, so it might be difficult to advise, in these cases, with confidence.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what your saying is the basic shap of the heater channel is the same, just the position for the outlet is different!

If thats all then it really wont bother me, as I might not use the heaters!

Can you have heaters with a street and strip motor?? Say a 2L plus motor?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
did someone mention heater channels :) any not needed :)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Be careful sbout the condition of those heater channels that you've had stored.

There was a thread on here 2 or 3 weeks ago, somebody removed the bottom plate from an aftermarket channel (new) and it was pretty rusty - they're not painted inside, just bare steel.

Search for the thread, and check out your stored channels otherwise you may be welding new rust in !

Dave.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just read that thread!

wow, didnt think they'ed be that bad, also didnt think the genuine ones were so cheap, especially when you see the quality! That thread is a must ss
ee for ayone doing their channels!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts