Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, my 1st post.

I wanted to ask a few questions, any responses greatly appreciated.

Basically, I have a renault clio, very reliable car but a bit like feeling like a clone when you see them every where, so I decided I wanted a classic. My 1st thought was a MgbGt, however, all the ones I looked at were either rust buckets or very expensive. I have a budget of whatever the clio sells for, which I think will be approx. 4k. I have seen a Beetle on autotrader, it has been fully restored, I beleive it is a 67' or 69', cant remember as it has been removed at the moment, it was up for 3250 ono. Is this a good price? Also, what are they like on consumption? its a 1600. And finally is it any good for a daily use car, I only travel about 15miles rnd trip daily?

I also want to make it look a bit more street car, wld I get panned for doing this to a restored job? Can you get body kits and such for beetles?

Dont know much about cars as you can tell.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome to vzi Technishan,
If you wanna street look consider having a good look at the "german look" cars, big wheels big engines, u certainly wont get panned for these motors. The reason i got a bug was for the fact that you can b differant. get a copy of oct ultravw magazine interesting article by keith seume about the vw "scene"
Ask as many questions as you like, i think you will find there will always b someone online more than willing to help......Gav

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gav, thing is aswell a bug wont lose money, i think if anything it will start gaining value as everyones buying new cars, which depreciate quicker than it took for me to type this. I saw in a paper few weeks back that there were so few old cars, some models only in double figures now as so many get crushed. I know theres alot of Bugs but there are fewer available than a Ford Focus to buy. I like different, what does a bug handle like?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Welcome, be warey with your cash when buying a vw. If you did a survey on here 'who got stung when buying their 1st vw' a lot of people would answer yes. The term 'fully restored' is thrown around quite a lot, so always take someone who REALLY knows what they;re looking at. Good luck and lket us know how you get on. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
mine handles ok, lot of weight lower down though as i have the cabriolet.
As to buying one i would look no further than this site if you dont mind travelling a bit to get the right one. I started out wanting a ragtop, but then my cab turned up about a mile down the road from me, guy wanted to do it up but ran out of money, thats where i came in.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
there are loads of people in essex who would go along with you im sure. defo dont buy one without taking someone in the know with you

also look here

www.kampaman.co.uk for some buying tips

good luck :)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Everyone gets ruled by their heart not their head. Theres so many bodge artists out there. Join your local club, or join a local club forum. I think Tyzer is an essex boy, pm him, or barkyd or check their signatures for a link. Then intrioduced yourslef and ask for help, you;ll be inundated with offers. People are mostly dead nice in this scene. :)

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
look out for a local club, go along and get to know the people when they meet. they'll all be happy to talk you through their cars, and help you to ge to decide what you want in a beetle. One of the great things about this scene is the opportunity to make friends, I've met some of my best friends through VW's. Volksworld, VW Ultra and www.vwmagazine.co.uk are all good places to learn more too.

·
Registered
10,670 Posts
Hi and welcome :D

another way is to pop down to a Vw meet and have a wander round where you will see beetles and buses of all types and vw owners are always willing to show of there cars and tell you all about them , dont know where in essex you are but splitterz have meets in Chelmsford and Southend :D see here for more details www.splitterz.co.uk hope this helps :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I will pop to one of the meets and get clued up, plus get some mod ideas. May even see one for sale if im lucky!

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
in my eyes fully restored means every nut and bolt.......theres too many fully restored cars that are just bad blow overs out there.....

·
The Dreaded One
11,879 Posts
barkyd said:
Hi and welcome :D

another way is to pop down to a Vw meet and have a wander round where you will see beetles and buses of all types and vw owners are always willing to show of there cars and tell you all about them , dont know where in essex you are but splitterz have meets in Chelmsford and Southend :D see here for more details www.splitterz.co.uk hope this helps :D
:stupid: ;)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
hello, my 1st post

im also new to this and dont know how to get all the pics under name and so on ihave baught two buses resently but have had experiance whit buying moters before so think ive done ok :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts