Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a close friend of mind passed away recently and his mother asked me to take is car out for a run to keep the battery up etc! any way, since then its been parked in her garage and is leaking a fair bit of oil!

It seems to be coming from the seals on the lower pully, the one, if it were a beetle engine would be the end of the crank!

Why should it leek here if its sitting? Are these dry sumped? I couldnt find the dip stick, would it be near the oil filler on the right side inner arch?

Is it common to leek here and how big a job is it to put right!

Anything else I need to keep an eye on on these cars?

I know my mate was advised to use fully syntethic oil in it and it pist out everywhere and ran hot, so he changed it, its probably on 10w40 at the mo! Would this leek be caused by the previous incident?

If anyone has any ideas i'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
l.a.r.d said:
common mistake is to overfill system.
Just to expand on what Lee has said you need the engine idling with the oil warmed through before you can get an accurate reading from the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
On 911 engines all the oil falls to the bottom of the case while not in use, and once started the scavange pump in the case pushes oil back in the oil tank and then you get your reading.

If too much oil is in the system and you start it up it could flood the oil tank then the breather will suck oil back into the intake and foul your plugs.
I only know this as it happened to me with my old 3.6 porsche powered T3 :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, will take a look at it soon, I'd figured the oil may work its way back into the casing while sitting but I dont think it was over filled before at the owner,(my mate) did all his own servicing and knows better, (it was someone elses advice he wrongly took with the fully synthetic oil!)

If its not over full, any I deas on the leak and how hard is it to replace that seal, looks kinda tight in there!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You can change the oil seal at the crank end of the engine, just by removing pully wheel and changing seal.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts