Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I鈥檝e just bought a bug with a 2l type 4 engine in it. On looking round it, I noticed one of the exhaust studs was loose and the stud was wobbling in the head.
Can I clean the stud and put it back in with some liquid metal or will it need the exhaust off and helicoiling or something similar?
Thanks

Registered
It needs helicoiling, or an insert fitting. You can buy 1 size bigger exhaust studs for type 4 engines. This might work better, as long as there's enough material around the stud. If it's really loose, it will need welding up and re tapping of the stud hole.

Registered
I've used these on type 1 and wasserboxer engines.
Remove the old stud, drill and tap for m10 and fit.
Don't know if the type 4 head has enough metal to open it out to m10 though

Premium Member
I've used these on type 1 and wasserboxer engines.
Remove the old stud, drill and tap for m10 and fit.
Don't know if the type 4 head has enough metal to open it out to m10 though
I've used these on T1 engines too, less hassle than helicoil, strong and secure too.

Registered
From experience, and doing lots of these as its a common issue, it's engine out, head off, weld it up and re tap it. Or drill the thread hole to a size that removes the elongation. Have an aluminium sleave made to fit, chamfer the exhaust flange, weld in the aluminium sleave, then re tap the new sleave. The access is limited hense why the previous attempt to fix it failed. The last attempt I believe was possibly done with the motor still in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts