Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Westfalia RHD Continental Interior that I collected in seperate pieces over the years. It is overall in pretty good condition. I was going to sell it and put a different interior setup in my van but I now need an interior quickly to get away so might as well use it.

I was hoping that someone who has/had a Westfalia Continental and has taken the interior in and out before could give me a bit of an idea of how it is all anchored down and fixed in place. I am trying to work out how hard it is going to and whether I am going to be having to drill holes in the van and make mountings everywhere. I have no idea for instance how the head banger rear roof box is fixed and stays up?

The van it will be going in is a 1972 Devon. The bits of the interior are all in storage so I don't have them sittinng in front of me right now. I know there are some metal fittings on the units in some places. Any advice, photos or description would be very much appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
The continetal interior in my 73 was barely fixed into place. The sink unit and wardrobe units had a couple of 6mm nuts and bolts through the bulkheads behind each front seat and a couple of small angle brackets fixed with screws into the plywood floor.
Bed is bolted through the floor by a couple of 8mm nuts and bolts and angle brackets and then also through the rear wheelarch tubs with 6mm nuts and bolts and a spreader plate under the arch.
Head banger rear storage has a couple of angle brackets, one either side just above the side windows with screws holding it to the metal above the side windows. Can't remember if theres also a bracket at the rear too and i sold my westy in 2019 so can't go and look.
The westfalia owners manual (available somewhere as a pdf file online) has good diagrams showing the mountings i seem to remember. I'll see if i've still got a copy on my computer.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Bed attaches like this:
Font Slope Parallel Engineering Rectangle

Overhead locker like this (ignore the shape of it and the left side of the picture as its from US manual with wardrobe at rear). Just a couple of angle brackets attached to the metalwork above the windows and some screws along the rear above the tailgate. The brackets already screwed to the van just bend out of the way slightly (towards the windows) to allow you to lift the locker into place then you screw the 2 screws (B) in.
Automotive exterior Rectangle Naval architecture Parallel Drawing

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Zebedee

Thank you very much that is helpful. Do you have the complete manual for the westfalia continental interior by any chance?

The wood base and front (with opening door) for the rock and roll bed is still joined and then I have the two rock and roll hinges which have the bed wooden sides still attached.

The sink unit has a couple of 6mm bolts at the top as you say. The wardrobe has holes through it where it attaches to the drivers seat bulkhead. The side seat with table leg and wardrobe have metal brackets still attached so hopefully it will still all go together. I will have to drill holes in the floors and arches but I guess there is no way around that.

The headbanger unit does not really seem to have any holes in it for screws up into the roof, only some very small holes in the very back near the rear. I came across brackets on JustKampers that say they are for the head locker. They say you need four of them.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Those are the kind of brackets my 73 had. Sure i only had 2 though and a line of screws above the rear hatch.

I've had a look for the manual but i can't find it. I must have deleted it after i'd sold my westy.
If you can read French then theres this owners manual on thesamba.com: TheSamba.com :: 1973 Westfalia Owners Manual - French

Theres loads of others too but they're mostly for the American campmobile.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, I have had a look but most of the manuals don't actually give much info about the furniture or bed. I am not sure how those brackets actually work for the head locker but I will get some anyway.

I am trying to work out how the full width rock and roll bed goes in. I have the base and front panel with door. I also have the two wooden sides which have the westfalia rock and roll hinges attached.

It looks like the spring loaded catch on the hinges has been put in the wrong position because it doesn't hook on the place it is supposed to. I also don't know what other bits for the bed I may be missing. I have been searching all over the internet and have found various photos and threads with possible bits I am missing.

It seems like the base of the bed that turns into the seat had bent brackets hidden underneath to rest on the front panel of the bed frame? Were there also other metal brackets attached to the van to support the seat back rest that is also part of the bed? Also do you know if the wooden base of the bed sat directly on the metal cargo floor or whether they put a piece of plywood etc down first, as this will alter the height of it all.

I really would have thought there would be loads of people who had taken out their westfalia interiors to paint, or repair inside and put them back. Photos to follow.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Theres bound to be a few people on the late bay forum who have removed and reinstalled their westy interiors. A quick look brought up this piccy showing that the seat base fits directly to the corrugated floor as the main floor stops at the seat kick panel.
Wood Vehicle Floor Flooring Gas

Ours was missing the spring loaded catches but it looks like you've got everything else.
The support brackets that hold the seat base up in bed mode by resting on the kick panel look like these.
White Gesture Font Triangle Line

Fitted like so.
Green Wood Grass Rectangle Leisure

The backrest just rests on this (arrowed) stepped part of the hinge when its flat.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Wood Asphalt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts