Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's right, I filled up with Diesel when my mind was in auto-pilot. I'm kicking myself. Well I towed the car back home, and now I ask: now what?

Can I solve this problem myself, or is it a garage job?

I'm so angry with myself! :mad:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Yeah go for it! What have you got to loose now? Might want to change the fuel lines in the engine bay too and clean out the float chamber in the carb.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mobys advice still counts but now you need to drain the float chamber in the carb as well as blow the fuel pump through into a bucket by turning engine over with coil ht lead removed, while doing this take out all spark plugs when you turn the enine over to blow out the barrels a bit.
put everything back together and start it up.
engine will smoke for a while but keep running until normal.

engine might run a bit better after as its the equivalent of redex ing the valves and pistons.

just don't do it again!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, since I'm still new at this, can someone answer a few questions?

1) How do I remove the fuel tank? (I'm guessing I do this first)

2) How do I change the fuel lines?

3) How do I drain the float chamber in the carb?

4) How do I remove the coil ht lead?

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
Don't worry about it- somebody else, who shall remain nameless, on here did it recently and made it home too,
I think it was much later and with plenty of head scratching he realised what had happened :crazy:

(sorry Tomarse :incheek: )

Justin.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
majin_lyndon said:
OK, since I'm still new at this, can someone answer a few questions?

1) How do I remove the fuel tank? (I'm guessing I do this first)

2) How do I change the fuel lines?

3) How do I drain the float chamber in the carb?

4) How do I remove the coil ht lead?
Start by getting one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/1566913101 and progress to something with more technical stuff later, it's easier than us having to write manuals. In the meantime get the car looked at by someone with some mechanical knowledge or you may end up with a fire.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
JustinOval said:
Don't worry about it- somebody else, who shall remain nameless, on here did it recently and made it home too,
I think it was much later and with plenty of head scratching he realised what had happened :crazy:

(sorry Tomarse :incheek: )

Justin.
:lol: Damn it, I was going to post in a "my friend" style but my secret's out! :lol:

Ya, I did it too. Drove it about 8 miles like that. Smoked loads, lost a load of power, made a right noise but still just about went.

Easy to fix though. I made the mistake on my way to work. Bought a large water container on my lunch break from a nearby camping place. Took the tank out. Poured the contents in. Put the tank back in. Topped up with the contents of my jerry can. Started the engine and just kept it running for 5 mins until all the smoke cleared. Did it all in a shirt and tie in the office car park. Ran better than ever after that! :D

If it will still start then there's no need to worry about changing the lines, draining the carb/pump or any of that. The fresh unleaded fuel will sort all of that out. :hangloose

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're a life safer! It does indeed still start, I didn't even drive mine a mile what with the loss of power and smoke. How does one take out the fuel tank? Is it in John Muir's book?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
majin_lyndon said:
You're a life safer! It does indeed still start, I didn't even drive mine a mile what with the loss of power and smoke. How does one take out the fuel tank? Is it in John Muir's book?
Even if it isn't in JM's book, IMHO it is still good buy, i bet rocking horse poop that you will need it some time in the future, and that stuff ain't easy to come by you know!! :incheek: :crazy:

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Just do what Moby says - do not bother to drain the carb, just start it and the smoke will clear soon.

A 'friend' did this TWICE - but johnny foreigners pumps weren't colour coded was the 'friend's' excuse.
In both cases I (woops - the friend ) just drained the tank and refilled with petrol. There is usually enough petrol in the bit in the pipe and float to keep you going.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Get a haynes too. Really this isn't that mechanical.

Fuel tank out is 4 bolts under the bonnet - you'll see some washer type chaps holding the tank down. Underneath the tank is a hose going into the body. If there is a tap, turn it to the other side, i.e. off, then remove the clips. Pull off the hose and empty tank. Don;t keep the old hose clips, go buy new ones.

There is a pipe going to the carb from the fuel pump, and one going to the fuel pump from behind the tinware, toward the front of the car. Disconnect this pipe at both ends and blow the solid one forward through with a compressor or some compressed air. The flexible pipes should be removed and replaced.

The carb pipe will probably drop some fuel when you take it off the pump, just be aware of this. Removing the carb is two bolts, front and back of the manifold. They are 13mm, but the one toward the front of the car may require a little leverage provided by a 1/2"AF spanner instead. 5 screws on the top of the carb give you access to the float chamber. Empty the fuel in there, being careful not to lose any bits, cause you need them! Next blow thorguh all the jets with more compressed air or a compressor. Hold on to them tightly, they will disappear forever otherwise ;)

Put it all back together, new hoses - use the old ones for 'templates', connect the tank up, remembering to turn the tap on if you have one. Use new flexible hose here too. New clips all around. Leave to dry out any petrol or diesel that may still be lurking abuot, fill with Unleaded :crazy: and start cranking! After a while it will start

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
majin_lyndon said:
The sad thing is I have the book, and have read it cover to cover several times. Mechanics just confuses me :(
Reading it cover to cover will confuse you, just read the section that is relevent. You would do better to syphon as much fuel out as possible into a secure container before you start. Take fire precautions. The tank will then be light enough to handle easily. Removing the tank is a very simple job for a novice, will take you Ωhr blindfolded. You may need a new length of hose from the tank to the chassis pipe so do that while you have the chance, making sure the bend in the hose is correct and doesn't chafe on the steering bits when the tank is back in.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
My mrs filled my bug to the bloody brim with diesel once, then drove to my work to tell me she had done it! I too was in a suit and tie. Syphoned all the diesel out, filled it back up to the top with petrol and drove on, topping up with fresh petrol as often as I could over the next week or so. No probs whatsoever.

Shane

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I'll be trying this tomorrow when I get some cans to hold £15 worth of Diesel. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you get stuck give us a shout

07818 410541

I'm only in brockworth and can show you how take a tank out etc

Seb

1 - 20 of 36 Posts