Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just swopped engines in my beetle and now I can't set the ignition timing. I just get 12v whether the points are open or closed. At first I thought it was the new condensor I'd bought, so put the old dizzy on but same thing happend. Ok, the condensor is connected to the #1- coil terminal, power in is going to #15+. I'm connecting the meter between #1- and earth to test. Got me confused! Sure I saw a flash when I first tested it.

TIA

-Steve

·
Highly Respected Member
13,559 Posts
Points gap too large and points not actually closing ?

Oily film from feeler gauges preventing the points from making electrical contact ?

Faulty points set (no contact from wire to contact points themselves) ?

Earthing braid wire from distributor body to baseplate loose or missing ?

Bad connection or wire broken internally between points & coil ?

Faulty coil ?

Dave.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,559 Posts
Just noticed you'd got a meter.

Set it to ohms (resistance scale), pull the wire from the points off the coil, connect this to your meter and touch the other meter lead against the engine case.

Turn the engine by hand (ignition off) so the points are closed, and you should get a full reading (short circuit) on the meter. flick the points open with your finger and the meter should drop to very high (infinite) resistance.

If this works, your dissy and points are OK, the fault is elsewhere. Check the coil and that all it's connections are tight.

Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts