Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am having a little trouble with a 1985 VW Van I got recently. I made a youtube video so maybe someone that knows about Volkswagen engines could listen to and let me know what might be wrong with it.
Thanks so much for any advice.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi. Can you do a recorded clip of the motor with you at the back of the van. Have it just ticking over, get some close up shots of the carb, distributor ect. Raise the Rpm with your hand on the throttle arm. The sound of the motor as it is at idle and higher is the 1st thing needed. Be careful there's a fan belt SPINNING

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Can you do a recorded clip of the motor with you at the back of the van. Have it just ticking over, get some close up shots of the carb, distributor ect. Raise the Rpm with your hand on the throttle arm. The sound of the motor as it is at idle and higher is the 1st thing needed. Be careful there's a fan belt SPINNING
Hi, I made a video revving the engine while it is running. I just have to make it a smaller file size. My internet connection is bad so youtube uploads take a while. I will get it up there now.

Thanks so much for your help. I will let you know when it is up on youtube.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Get some easy start spray and spray around the 2 inlet manifold rubber boots. Also around the carburetor, and the around the manifolds end castings I think there is an air leak. The easy start will make the rpm increase by itself. I also here noise from the alternator pulley. The belt looks slack. Concentrate your ears on the alternator. Remove top outer pulley and Check for ware around the centre of the 2 pulley halves. How many shims in between the 2 pulley halves are there. Exhaust gaskets sound like there blowing too.. Your better checking things on a cold engine to avoid burns.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Get the valve tappet clearances checked. Do this on a cold engine. She'll be hot without all the tin fitted and the wrap around seal. Sniff the dip stick. It should not smell of petrol

·
Registered
863 Posts
Basic carb setting is
1 5 turns on the big air screw on the side of the carb and 3.5 turns on the mixture screw.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Verify that the 4 cylinders are actually working. Pull 1 lead off the distributor at a time while it's running. The engine Rpm should lower if its a working cylinder. If the Rpm does not lower that cylinder that relates to the plug lead you have pulled off the distributor is NOT working. You'll be busy now checking the above and this. Talk to ya tomorrow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all of the info!
I don't have many tools and not much knowledge working on autos. But this is so helpful. I will try to do as many things as possible by myself. I have little money, so I can talk to a mechanic about the things you mentioned, before I pay for any work.

Thank you for giving me a specific list of things to try. You sound like you know a lot.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Put the bottom pulley a TDC. Pull on it back n forth. Does it move. If it does, try and measure it. In Mm, If it's alot of movement it might not be worth spending money on a motor trying to get it running better.. When at the end of the day needs a rebuild.
Try find an aircooled vw garage in your area. Ask a fellow v dubber who to trust with it.
You own it. Make sure it doesn't start owning you. Vws have a habit of eating all your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far it has been a great investment. The engine runs really strong and the transmission feels ok. In Mexico I paid $1450 plus $1250 for electrical work, paint, new tires and misc repairs. So total I paid around $2700 for a great van. But I know that could change now that I am needing work done in the US.

Thanks again. I can do some of what you explained myself, I can talk to a mechanic about the rest.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
That engine's not long for this world whatever, if you don't fit the rear tinware and get that fuel filter somewhere safe. It's a toss-up between which comes first - an engine seizure or a catstrophic fire...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts