Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad is it to have the rear bump stops perminantly grounded out?

I tried to lower the rear of my bay and realised the reason its hardly gone down is due to the fact its resting on the bump stops, they are already trimmed down to like an inch.... what can i do?

Is it too unsafe to drive with all that presure on the bumpstops?

Thanks, Freddie

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
When I lowered my bay I cut the first "doughnut" off of the bumpstops and had to notch my spring plates remember and leave a big transitional radius to inhibit cracking/metal fatigue.

Hope this helps and makes sense,
Paddy

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I haven't had a proper operational bump stop for 20 years.... the tarmac is the bumpstop when your 3 splines down.....

Now wait for someone else to give you a technical lesson explaining the critical importance of correct bumpstops... :)

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
I haven't had a proper operational bump stop for 20 years.... the tarmac is the bumpstop when your 3 splines down.....

Now wait for someone else to give you a technical lesson explaining the critical importance of correct bumpstops... :)
In their day, when these vehicles were being used all over the world as working vehicles, all the mechanical components were critical. If they weren't then VW left them off to cut costs.

VW's basic enemy to sales was always that other brands were often cheaper. (still true today)

These days many of the vehicles have become toys. They no longer need to carry heavy loads over poor terrain on a daily basis etc. Hence it is possible to get away with all sorts of modifications which make it impossible for the vehicle to function as it once had to.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brilliant, thankyou people, i have trimmed the bumpstops to about 1cm :lol:

Had to ajust it up about an inch tho, the bump stops are about 8mm from the metal! :lol:

Nice and bangy ;)

Thanks again people, il get a pic up soon :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts