Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a block complete with good barrels and pistons off a chap as a working unit. I then put my heads and ancillaries on.

I think i did everything by the book, ie. valve clearances, timing, points etc etc... It started up straight away, with no smoke and idles great. However, when i rev it there is a knocking sound that increases with the engine rpm's.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think there is any play on the pulley.

It doesnt seem to be a really deep knocking, and it seems to be predominantly on one side (1&2). Plus this side is not getting anywhere near as hot as the other side which sounds ok.

Have done the valve clearances again tonight, but still sounds the same.

Any more ideas

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HT leads definately on the right way... Had a look on that Ji Muirs engine sounds site, to be honest the closest sound is the "loose valve"... but i have adjusted these, could i have a sticky valve?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i have just been out and swapped the plug leads over between 1&2 and to be honest the engine sounded the same, i.e. a bit lumpy, with a knocking noise on 1&2..!!! So maybe its just running on 2 cylinders!!

When i ran it for a few minutes earlier today, the head for 3&$ got really hot, whereas the other head with the knocking sound was cool....

??

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Is it a twin port ? You might have a bad air leak on one side (either manifold boots or at manifold to head joint)

Il try to find a pic of how the leads go...

EDIT... Check Speedy Jim`s site out , lots of useful help and tips...

This page is what you need to start with >> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/eng_strt.htm

Main page is here >> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer some advice too. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The heads are single port heads.... And the manifold just sort of "plops" in and tightens up..... Would that be likely, if there were an air leak on one side, the head wouldnt get hot - and the engine would fire on the other 2 cylinders, would this give me the knocking sound??? wonder how?

Thanks for the ideas by the way, much appreaciated....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that having a huge air leak between the manifold and head on one side will make those two cylinders not fire, but can this cause the knocking from the valves i am experiencing??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that, i have ordered some today, and will take it from there.....

cheers

Mark

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have now fitted the new manifold to head seals and the engine sounds just the same. Is there anything else i can try to get rid of this knocking from one head??? is it worth taking the van on a run ,to see if the noise "goes away"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts