Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
can anyone help me out with how to use a multimeter?
Basically, I'm having problems with my brake and tail lights, and my first thing to try is going to be checking the earth wires. But... if this doesnt work I've been told to get a multimeter to try and diagnose the problem. :(
Thing is, I dont know where/what I should be testing! :stupid:
Can somebody give me some guidelines as to what I should test first, and what I am looking for?

Many thanks to all you electronically minded people for your help in advance! :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
You need someone to press the brake pedal for you and then check if you have 12Volts at the wire that goes onto the brake light, if you do then the chances are you have a poor earth if you dont then you need to find the connections on your brake switch and again check for 12 volts here. If you have voltage here but not at the lights then you have a broken wire (probably easier to make a new wire) if there is no voltage here then find out (with the aid of a drawing) where the brake light switch power is supplied from and check there for voltage.
I would recommend finding a schematic (wiring) diagram for your vehicle and trace the brake circuits, its not to hard to do.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi - If you're not used to mutimeters it may be a better idea to just spend a couple of quid on a 12v test light - that way all you do is earth the wire on the body somewhere with the crocodile clip (test it with a connector you definitely know has got 12v to it, ie: when lights are on) and then hold the end of the test probe against the connector/wire you are wanting to test - if it lights up you've got 12 volts .... if it doesn't, you haven't.

Available at most motor shops
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CIRCUIT-TESTE...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers

·
Registered
697 Posts
thankyou, when you say test for voltage, I put one end on the thing to be tested and the other end on what? :)
the other end goes on to the earth.

to test the earth (if you dont get a reading) move the probe to another earth on the car.

made that mistake once.
my amp stopped working, used a multimeter and it said power was fine. took the amp apart to check it over, all ok.
then found the earth wire from the amp onto it's earthing point on the car was loose. DOUGH !!

·
Registered
917 Posts
thankyou, when you say test for voltage, I put one end on the thing to be tested and the other end on what? :)
The red lead normally goes to the live side of the circuit (the bit you want to be reading 12 volts) and the black lead goes to a suitable earth on the body (or the battery negative if its close enough)

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Moby why dont you post it up for everyone, someof us appreciate your electrical help. Mainly my wife lol as it stops me swearing at her car :lol::lol:

But I do too....All hail MOBY
If I post pics directly on here I'm restricted to a size of less than 60KB. :rolleyes:
Many, including his, come out much larger than that, so the only way I can use them on here is via Photobucket etc. I already have over 1000 on Photobucket and it's a pain in the arse doing it that way, so I don't bother. For the forum I try to keep all my pics simple, and then invite individuals to email me for better descriptions if I think it may help. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moby,
Sorry - as explained via email, your email got sent to my spam and i didnt see it :(
The drawing is brilliant, just what i need. I will be tackling the task today, so fingers crossed by the end of the day I should have everything working correctly!
Moby you're a star thanks so much for your help.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts