Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been wondering about this for a few days now so here's the story.....
The local M4 corridor is a real speed camera-alley IMHO, particularly Jct 35 of the M4 where there is a speed-camera van parked on an overhead bridge near this junction virtually every day (this stretch DOES display those speed camera warning signs btw).....
The M4 at this point is a long sweeping curve,with the bridge at the apex of this bend, and the camera van is normally parked so that people thundering along the M4 westwards are literally on top of the bridge (with camera pointing at them!) before they know what's hit them.....
I'm not opening up a discussion of the rights/wrongs of these mobile camera vans/road safety partnership vehicles, or whatever they are called, its about what I saw on Thursday coming home from work.....
As I get off at Jct 35 to reach home I am always very cautious about this particular stetch of the M4 and ALWAYS do dead-on 70 mph on the approach to this infamous overhead bridge (as do all the locals :D ), anyway on Thursday afternoon I noticed that as I approached the bridge there was no camera van......
I was in the inside lane as I got to the bridge when I noticed on the pavement of the bridge there were 3 separate cameras mounted on tripods, each one pointing at a lane of the motorway :rolleyes: .
There were no police vans in sight but I'm convinced they were speed cameras....
I'm guessing that as both ends of the motorway bridge are enveloped in trees etc the camera van + operator were safely hidden recording away......
I thought that camera vans had to be discernable at a certain distance? or has that rule changed?
Just wonder how many people were nabbed by the cameras that day......

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
That section has had a few accidents in the past, so it could be argued there's a need for some protective measures... however, I don't agree with the methods you've mentioned.. They don't deter; they just coin it in. Locals get wise, but to everyone else, it's still just an ordinary stretch from London to Port Talbot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think those are number plate recognition camera's - they used to have them on the routes into Brighton during the labour conference although I think they've wired up some permanent ones now as I haven't seen them this year. I have seen these on the Clckett's lane bridge on the M25 too, and you're right there is an operator in a van off the bridge.

The most common speedy's we get are white vans with the solid rear windows panels that are dropped down with a couple of camera's pocking out of them. There's normally a car parked in front of it in the layby so it doesn't stand out so much and they always have a couple of chase-cars.

Saying that we have a lot of under-cover cars on the M23- I was caught on the bike by a silver Evo earlier in the summer. It was 7.30am on a Sunday morning and they still did me!!

·
Banned
566 Posts
they will be numberplate recognition cameras, had them on wednesday on the M^ southbound at Warrington - the hard sholder was like a car park...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
campermad said:
they will be numberplate recognition cameras, had them on wednesday on the M^ southbound at Warrington - the hard sholder was like a car park...
yep... there either plate checkers.. or tax checkers...

but the speed limit is 70 isnt it, so ur not gonna get in trouble if u dont go over that,

i do agree... for motorways ect, 70 is a little slow, and i find that 30/40 is fine for the limits in cardiff,

and from some of the people i have seen driving in the past few weeks, i would not want to see them doing over 70 on the motorway to be honest, ( like a fly next to a lightbulb ) if u catch my drift :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts